Southern rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaartnaz

Assistant Cook
hello,

i would like to know the name of the recipe for southern style rice. i looked on google and it didn't give me southern rice dishes. i typed in saffron rice and yellow rice and got indian rice dishes.

I don't know what you mean by "southern rice."

What other ingredients are in it? What color is it? I'm clueless as to what you are looking for.

By "southern" do you mean southern USA...South American...some other southern?

dirty rice sounds good, i never heard of it

but i mean yellow rice with peas and diced carrots, that's a southern us recipe no?

Sounds like fried rice to me :LOL:

I wouldn't call it a Southern US dish...at least not around here, and I'm in the South.

I would simply add some turmeric (or you could add some saffron threads if you wish) to the chicken stock when you cook the rice. Cook in chicken stock versus water. If you are using frozen peas and carrots you can heat them seperately and just toss together when the rice is done.

In reading your other dishes I'd say you should go for the dirty rice!!! It's wonderful!

but i mean yellow rice with peas and diced carrots, that's a southern us recipe no?

It sounds like you might be talking about rice pilaf. If so, here is a good brand of yellow rice mix to use. Saffron is very expensive, and this mix tastes very good. I just saute chopped onions and carrots, and then toss in some defrosted green peas.
http://www.mahatmarice.com/en-us/products/2/SaffronYellow.aspx

I agree this sounds like fried rice which would be yellow in color and contain egg, peas, and carrots. It's a Chinese restaurant staple.

Southern Rice

Southern Rice
vegetable cooking spray
1 cup sliced celery
¾ cup chopped green pepper
2¾ cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1½ cups long grain rice
¾ cup sliced green onions
¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add celery and green pepper; sauté until crisp-tender. Stir in broth and add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
Spread rice into a shallow 2-quart baking dish; add vegetables and hot broth mixture. Cover and bake at 350º for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle toasted pecans on top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom