"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I serve this with a pork dish that I make with a cranberry gravy - yum!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukx View Post
I dont mean cook the lentils IN the spätzle, only serve as another side dish, i.e. sausages or pork (and gravy) with spätzle and linsen on the side. Very common...
I must admit, I've never heard of that.. is it something typical berlinerisch? ;)
My BIL makes almost perfect spaetzles, but he is a born swabian, so I think it's in his blood ;o)
I'll ask him about the lentils...

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
Senior Cook

yeah the lentils are very common with spaetzle in Swabia as well. In Berlin you have to make the spaetzle yourself!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
Master Chef

In Hannover too.. but it's not that a hard work.. and I prefer them to the bought ones ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Same here Cara

For those not familiar with the traditional process who are curious, it really isnt difficult to make spaetzle without the machine, in fact its quite fun I think. I have used two different types of "machines". One is like a potato ricer which makes long strands. The other is like a cheese grater with a sliding "box" on the top, but this makes small little teardrops (which are actually more like Knoepfli, not Spaetzle).

The authentic (and best) way is to flick the batter into boiling water as it slides down the cutting board (which means it should be thick, but still liquidy enough to ever so slowly slide down the board - thicker than, say, pancake batter in the USA, but not quite as thick as, say, peanut butter - somewhere in between). You can use a knife to do the "flicking" but a tool similar to a pastry scraper works best, I think (easier to handle).

The tool I mean looks something like this:

You can see a video of what I mean here:
Old 02-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
Head Chef

Our family favorite is Veal Shanks braised with veggies and spaetzli (I never spell it right either). Come to think of it it's time to do that again!

Tags
None