"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
...I notice however how passionate Italian cooks can be about what is "authentic" and what is not with this dish, it makes me roll my eyes.....
It's not just the Italians. I've had discussions here with several members over this. One guy tried to convince me there is only one authentic Hungarian Goulash recipe. There are very few dishes that can be traced back to a documented single point of origin that makes it the original for real.

The vast majority of traditional recipes had multiple points of origin in households in a region and spread out from there. I'm sure every housewife in Hungary back in the old days had their own version of goulash and their families liked hers best.

Not to mention that food doesn't recognize political borders. I'd bet some of the Austrian households just over the border from Hungary make a goulash very much like their Hungarian neighbors across the street.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
Master Chef
+1 ^

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #23
Senior Cook
Thanks for posting this nice recipe ! Spaghetti alla carbonara are definitely delicious and one of my favorite pasta dishes ( with Bucatini all'amatriciana)
Find this recipe in a video on my YouTube http://www.youtube.com/frenchguycooking
Video Recipes, How-to, Kitchenware Reviews and many other cool stuff !
frenchguycooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #24
Assistant Cook
Oh what a great recipe -- thank you so much for posting!
LanceD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #25
Master Chef
I make it often, and have heard probably dozens of reasons why it is called what it is. Scramble eggs, add some finely grated good cheese, sliver some ham or bacon. When pasta (preferably, to me, some long pasta) is boiled and barely drained, add the egg mixture. It will cook on the pasta just from the heat. One of my husband's favorites.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
Executive Chef
Thank you for your recipe, Diane. It will be an interesting exercise to reconcile your recipe with the one recently posted on DC by ragno nero cuocet.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
Thanks for sharing the recipe
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #28
Master Chef
I doubt I am going to be making this any time soon. If my wife finds out I put raw egg in a dish she would never, never allow kids to touch it or touch it herself.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #29
Senior Cook
I tried this recipe this weekend and was disappointed that it lacked the creaminess I have had a resturants. The flavor was good, but for the lack of a better word, it seemed dry. What did I do wrong?
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #30
Executive Chef
A couple of things I find with Carbonara. Authentically, it is a pretty dry dish. From my experience, Italians use a lot more olive oil than we would normally. This would help keep the pasta moist. I think the cream was introduced to help stretch the sauce and make it more of, well, a sauce. From what I remember, the chef I worked with did all of the mixing in a bowl. Not the pan. This kept the egg mixture a bit cooler so it didn't cook hard onto the noodles. The liquid egg stayed runny. Not everybody's cup of tea, but really the best flavor, and texture... plus, fire in an extra egg to make sure you have enough to cover the noodles. Whatever you don't eat will stay in the pan or on your plate....Easy recipe. Just adjust every ingredient to your liking.

Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote