"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,886
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Phooey. I just had to go and check out what Wikipedia says about salmonella, the most common problem with raw eggs.

Salmonella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Salmonella can survive for weeks outside a living body. They have been found in dried excrement after more than 2.5 years.[citation needed] Salmonella are not destroyed by freezing .[5][6]Ultraviolet radiation and heat accelerate their demise; they perish after being heated to 55 C (131 F) for one hour, or to 60 C (140 F) for half an hour.[citation needed] To protect against Salmonella infection, it is recommended that food be heated for at least ten minutes at 75 C (167 F) so that the centre of the food reaches this temperature.[citation needed]"

I don't think we need to worry about the centre of the food reaching the temperature.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I disagree, Andy. Warm the serving bowl (put your colander in your serving bowl, and drain the boiling pasta water into it. Dump the pasta water out.) Have your eggs at room temperature, not cold from the fridge.

Mix your eggs and cheese in the warm bowl, immediately add the hot pasta, and the eggs will certainly be over 140 degrees.
Now that makes good sense! I'll have to try this.
__________________

__________________
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
It has no appeal to me. Just yesterday, while at IHOP (International House of Pancakes), I sent my eggs back because the white wasn't cooked all of the way through. Just the thought of even a little uncooked egg white is enough to turn my stomach and make this dish undesirable.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
OK guys, I made this tonight following instructions from SG and Clair. Thank you both so much! It was silky and just wonderful, by far the best I've ever made. I wish I could give you all a bite. My hubby said it was better than the SC we had in Venice !!
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,886
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We like to use Italian, organic, whole grain, wheat fusilli. It really holds the sauce well.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:12 AM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
It has no appeal to me. Just yesterday, while at IHOP (International House of Pancakes), I sent my eggs back because the white wasn't cooked all of the way through. Just the thought of even a little uncooked egg white is enough to turn my stomach and make this dish undesirable.
I only use the yolk in mine, you get a softer finish
__________________
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We like to use Italian, organic, whole grain, wheat fusilli. It really holds the sauce well.
It does indeed!
__________________
Poppi G. Koullias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
As a matter of fact the eggs are cooked by the heat of the spaghetti and by the bacon which should be hot when poured on the pasta and egg.
I suggest to add parmesan after the other ingredients, because the heat of pasta will make it stick to the bottom of the bowl.
__________________
tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiramisu View Post
As a matter of fact the eggs are cooked by the heat of the spaghetti and by the bacon which should be hot when poured on the pasta and egg.
I suggest to add parmesan after the other ingredients, because the heat of pasta will make it stick to the bottom of the bowl.
I mixed the grated Parm into the well beaten eggs and it melted beautifully with the hot pasta. That was one of Claire's hints, and a very good one.

By the way, welcome to DC tiramisu, we're glad you joined us.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
Senior Cook
 
zfranca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SARZANA, La Spezia
Posts: 227
Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnapapera View Post
A very beatiful video shows how to cook the original "spaghetti alla carbonara".
Italian recipe.
Watch here let's cook - spaghetti alla carbonara on Vimeo

Hello Grandma duck, welcome. Where are you from?
Franca
__________________

__________________
We are all angels with one wing. Only together we can fly.
www.cookingwithfranca.blogspot.com
zfranca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe, spaghetti

Spaghetti alla carbonara A very beatiful video shows how to cook the original "spaghetti alla carbonara". Italian recipe. Watch here [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/16274974"]let's cook - spaghetti alla carbonara on Vimeo[/URL] :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.