Spaghetti alla carbonara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm wondering why I never made this before since I L-O-V-E bacon. Looks simple enough! But I have a newbie question. Is the egg pretty much raw when you're eating it? Or do the hot noodles cook it? Not sure I'd want to give this to one of my little ones if the egg is raw... but I would eat it for sure.

I disagree, Andy. Warm the serving bowl (put your colander in your serving bowl, and drain the boiling pasta water into it. Dump the pasta water out.) Have your eggs at room temperature, not cold from the fridge.

Mix your eggs and cheese in the warm bowl, immediately add the hot pasta, and the eggs will certainly be over 140 degrees.

I disagree, Andy. Warm the serving bowl (put your colander in your serving bowl, and drain the boiling pasta water into it. Dump the pasta water out.) Have your eggs at room temperature, not cold from the fridge.

Mix your eggs and cheese in the warm bowl, immediately add the hot pasta, and the eggs will certainly be over 140 degrees.

Those are great instructions, SG........thanks.

Great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

I agree; my eggs are not raw ... my husband says he likes mine best because the way I do it, the eggs sort of cling to the spaghetti in a very soft-scrambled kind of way, coating it. The heat from the pasta does cook the eggs. But I agree with all of the hints; the eggs brought to room temp, etc. I also cook it in the hot pot I boiled the pasta in, all ingredients at least room temp. I've also made this successfully with egg-beaters. I think adding the parm (I actually like pecorino equally), very finely grated, to the eggs until they're quite thick might help them to stick to the pasta.

I also am not adverse to using other smoked meats rather than bacon, if that is what I have.

This is a favorite go-to dish when we have busy days. One of my favorites. Add a bag of mixed greens and some oil and vinegar, et voila! (sorry, don't know how to say that in Italian), a full meal for a couple on the run!

Phooey. I just had to go and check out what Wikipedia says about salmonella, the most common problem with raw eggs.

Salmonella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Salmonella can survive for weeks outside a living body. They have been found in dried excrement after more than 2.5 years.[citation needed] Salmonella are not destroyed by freezing .[5][6]Ultraviolet radiation and heat accelerate their demise; they perish after being heated to 55 °C (131 °F) for one hour, or to 60 °C (140 °F) for half an hour.[citation needed] To protect against Salmonella infection, it is recommended that food be heated for at least ten minutes at 75 °C (167 °F) so that the centre of the food reaches this temperature.[citation needed]"

I don't think we need to worry about the centre of the food reaching the temperature.

Now that makes good sense! I'll have to try this.

It has no appeal to me. Just yesterday, while at IHOP (International House of Pancakes), I sent my eggs back because the white wasn't cooked all of the way through. Just the thought of even a little uncooked egg white is enough to turn my stomach and make this dish undesirable.

OK guys, I made this tonight following instructions from SG and Clair. Thank you both so much! It was silky and just wonderful, by far the best I've ever made. I wish I could give you all a bite. My hubby said it was better than the SC we had in Venice !!

It has no appeal to me. Just yesterday, while at IHOP (International House of Pancakes), I sent my eggs back because the white wasn't cooked all of the way through. Just the thought of even a little uncooked egg white is enough to turn my stomach and make this dish undesirable.
I only use the yolk in mine, you get a softer finish

As a matter of fact the eggs are cooked by the heat of the spaghetti and by the bacon which should be hot when poured on the pasta and egg.
I suggest to add parmesan after the other ingredients, because the heat of pasta will make it stick to the bottom of the bowl.

As a matter of fact the eggs are cooked by the heat of the spaghetti and by the bacon which should be hot when poured on the pasta and egg.
I suggest to add parmesan after the other ingredients, because the heat of pasta will make it stick to the bottom of the bowl.

I mixed the grated Parm into the well beaten eggs and it melted beautifully with the hot pasta. That was one of Claire's hints, and a very good one.

By the way, welcome to DC tiramisu, we're glad you joined us.

Back
Top Bottom