Spaghetti Bolognese For LEFSElover (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I usually use a large can (28 oz. I think) of crushed tomatoes, and one small can of paste. This time around I used fresh sieved tomatoes from my garden, and half a small can of paste. I dont have exact measurements for this recipe, sorry.

1 small onion, chopped very small
1/3 green bell pepper, chopped very small
1/3 red bell pepper, chopped very small
3-4 medium sized white mushrooms, chopped very small
1 medium clove of garlic, chopped fine
Canola or olive oil
red pepper flakes
parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
sugar
fresh or dried basil
1/3 lb approx. of 90% lean ground beef

Saute all the veggies until slightly soft (except garlic) which I throw in raw once the sauce is bubbling. Some like to cook garlic first, do whatever you like.

Brown your ground beef, make sure to mince it up while it browns. Add the sauce, paste, all the seasonings, and garlic. Cover and bring to a boil, stir, then reduce heat to medium or even low if it bubbles too fast. Keep checking on it to adjust the seasonings, and allow to simmer for at least two hours. I figure no one needs a recipe on how to boil spaghetti right? :LOL:

amber said:
I usually use a large can (28 oz. I think) of crushed tomatoes, and one small can of paste. This time around I used fresh sieved tomatoes from my garden, and half a small can of paste. I dont have exact measurements for this recipe, sorry.

1 small onion, chopped very small
1/3 green bell pepper, chopped very small
1/3 red bell pepper, chopped very small
3-4 medium sized white mushrooms, chopped very small
1 medium clove of garlic, chopped fine
Canola or olive oil
red pepper flakes
parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
sugar
fresh or dried basil
1/3 lb approx. of 90% lean ground beef

Saute all the veggies until slightly soft (except garlic) which I throw in raw once the sauce is bubbling. Some like to cook garlic first, do whatever you like.

Brown your ground beef, make sure to mince it up while it browns. Add the sauce, paste, all the seasonings, and garlic. Cover and bring to a boil, stir, then reduce heat to medium or even low if it bubbles too fast. Keep checking on it to adjust the seasonings, and allow to simmer for at least two hours. I figure no one needs a recipe on how to boil spaghetti right? :LOL:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spaghetti Bolognese

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 medium onions, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
3 carrots, chopped very fine
5 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb ground veal
1 lb ground pork
1 1/2 lb ground beef
6 slices bacon, crisp cooked, finely chopped
29 ounce can whole tomatoes, in juice, crushed
1 can chicken broth
1 cup red wine
1 cup half and half
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried basil
smallest pinch ground nutmeg
smallest pinch cinnamon
1 teaspoon oregano
1 lb cooked spaghetti noodles, cooked, drained
lot's of freshly grated parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

Add oil and butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add all the vegetables and simmer about 10 minutes. Add the meats, all of them, and simmer until pink is gone, about 7 minutes. Add wine and the cinnamon and nutmeg and let reduce for 10 minutes, then add tomatoes with their juice, chicken broth, thyme, basil and oregano.. Reduce heat to lowest low and simmer uncovered for about 3 hours. Stir occasionally and add a small amount of water if the liquid evaporates too quickly, but a little at a time. Stir in cream and simmer on very low for 30 minutes, stirring so it won't break up in the tomato sauce.

Season with salt and pepper. Taste to make sure it's right.
Now in a separate bowl, put one serving hot pasta, and a ladle of sauce, stir to combine. I know that the term is called something like Ciggretti meaning to combine just to moisten all the noodles just a little bit, then add more sauce, but it gives you a start to having flavor on every piece of noodle. Sprinkle with lot's of parm cheese.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom