"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I really like making rice with onion soup mix.

The mix takes 4 cups of water, so I use 2 cups of rice and don't add any salt.

It makes a perfectly seasoned rice with very small bits of onion and a lovely rich flavor.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #22
Executive Chef

You can use half tomato juice and half chicken stock also. Changes the flavor and color.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpy1985 View Post
I really love my stock rice at the minute - really changed how i cook! much better than plain boiled rice lol

The way i do it involves bringing the water to the boil, dissolving the stock in said water, then add the rice and once boiling again re-cover and turn the heat down. Leave for approx. 10 minutes. Once done i leave to stand for a couple of mins and then drain and you can deffo taste!

couple of things to note i guess:
Rice - this is with White Long Grain Rice, Brown rice might take more for the stock to penetrate the rice?
Rice/Water Ratio - to get a strong flavour its approx 1 cup of rice : 2 cups of stock water. Or for a slightly milder flavour 1cup of rice : 3 cups of stock water...

BROWNING OF RICE
When you say brown the rice in some hot oil, just for simpletons like me - do you mean rice out the packet, (wash rice,) into pan until browned and then pop into my boiling pan of (maybe stock) water?

Further to that - might try only doing that with half the rice... could mix up the colour a little?! anyone tried that lol
First of all, it sounds like you're using bullion cubes. When I said stock I was referring to canned stock as in Swanson's or store brand canned beef or chicken stock.

In my discussion about browning rice I was referring to white rice, not brown rice. I haven't tried browning brown rice.

Rice:water ratio and cooking time - traditionally you use two parts of water to one part of rice (either kind of rice). Traditional cooking time is 20 minutes for white rice, 40 minutes for brown rice. This assumes the rice is tightly covered and that you don't peek, and I'm referring to stove top cooking. A rice cooker may have different suggested cooking times.

And again, I have not noticed any significant change in rice taste when I substitute canned stock for water. I don't use bullion cubes.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
Senior Cook

This is what I love to do with rice. I find it exceedingly tasty and satisfying. In fact I might make it tomorrow now!
My Mushroom and Rice One-Pot Recipe
Old 01-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg

First of all, it sounds like you're using bullion cubes. When I said stock I was referring to canned stock as in Swanson's or store brand canned beef or chicken stock.
I am using at the moment some Knor Chicken Stock which I add to the boiling water before adding the rice :)

I am also using Long Grain White Rice as its 'Family Friendly' lol
Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #26
Master Chef

Leftover plain rice is the very definition of fried rice. Leftover everything. look over your leftovers. Any meat, chop onions, garlic and mostly any vegetable. I like some zip and add some hot sauce. Ginger. Soy sauce. Fry (I like peanut oil, because you can get it good and hot, but any vegetable oil will do). At the last minute scramble an egg or two and toss in.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Leftover plain rice is the very definition of fried rice. Leftover everything. look over your leftovers. Any meat, chop onions, garlic and mostly any vegetable. I like some zip and add some hot sauce. Ginger. Soy sauce. Fry (I like peanut oil, because you can get it good and hot, but any vegetable oil will do). At the last minute scramble an egg or two and toss in.
I like the flair and creativity that cooking involves. I am just starting to develop mine!

Adding a Knor stock to rice was revolutionary for me haha normally I would just have boiled rice and grilled chicken and be happy with it!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
I like the flair and creativity that cooking involves. I am just starting to develop mine!
Stick around DC for awhile, carpy. Man, we sling food ideas around like crazy! I've gotten more wonderful recipes from DC than any other source in my life.

When reviewing my personal cookbook, "Oh Wow" is my most used comment.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
I am using at the moment some Knor Chicken Stock which I add to the boiling water before adding the rice :)
Is that a liquid product? Powdered? Solid cubes? If liquid, is it standard strength or concentrated? Is it pure or does it have spices added?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #30
Master Chef

Flinging food around? You should see my floor when I'm in full steam. I was without a dog for almost two years, and, yes, I missed the companionship. But I also missed having a little being who would eat anything that hit the floor before hubby or I could step on it and grind it into the floor or slip and fall on it! I'm a mess.

Tags
other, rice, spices