SPINACH MANICOTTI ala Weight Watchers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAYT721

Senior Cook
Healthy Spinach Manicotti - "KEEPER" Recipe

Wife & I had the Spinach Manicotti recipe last night for dinner and I must say it is a keeper recipe. Manicotti is not your everyday dinner but as a occasional treat, it is certainly a treat!!! Here is the recipe (Weight Watchers) that I used...

SPINACH MANICOTTI ala Weight Watchers

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon each margarine and all-purpose flour
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup canned ready-to-serve chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
White pepper and ground nutmeg
2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained (about 1 cup)
2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
8 uncooked manicotti shells (4 oz), cooked according to package directions and drained
2 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded

In a small saucepan, heat margarine over medium heat until bubbly and hot; add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; gradually stir in milk and broth. Continue to stir and cook until mixture is smooth; add 1/4 teaspoon salt and dash each of white pepper and nutmeg and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened, 10-15 minutes.

While mixture is simmering, in a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and dash nutmeg, mixing well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In bottom of 13x9x2" flameproof baking dish spread 1/3 cup sauce. Stuff 1/8 of spinach mixture into each manicotti shell and arrange stuffed shells in dish; top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella. Cover dish and bake until manicotti are heated through, 20-25 minutes. Turn oven control to broil, uncover pan, and broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned, 3-5 minutes.

Makes 4 Servings. 2 Manicotti Each.

Back
Top Bottom