"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Swedes eat yello wsplit pea soup on Thursdays. It's tradition. But my mom the west coast Canadian Swede always made green split pea soup. I mix em. I use yellow for many Indian dishes.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I found some of these today, I think I will make my soup with a mix of green and yellow next week.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I have always used the green ones, didn't even know about the yellow ones. Will surely have to give em a try.
They come in a wide variety of colors: black, brown, yellow, green, red, pink/salmon. I have used many of them, but really can't say they taste a lot different. The green is just the most well known.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
Master Chef

Hmm, rainbow colored split pea soup?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
Master Chef

To get an idea of the different flavor, purchase a can of Campbell's split pea soup, and a can of Habitant French-Canadian recipe pea soup. The yellow split peas have a milder, less sweet flavor than do the green split peas. They go very well with a bit of pork, a bit of cream, diced onion, and finally, salt & pepper. That's all you really need. Whole yellow dried peas also make a wonderful soup.

With either kind of split pea soup, simmer the soup until the peas litteraly disintigrate, stirring every half hour or so. Total cooking time should be no less than an hour. There should be no hard grains in the soup. Add shaved or grated carrot, and diced onion half way through the cooking time. When all is done, carefully pour the soup into a blender, or use an immesrsion blender to make it silky smooth. If enough peas were used, the solids will remain in suspension. But I usually make a blonde roux with flour and butter, add soup broth to thin, and mix the thinned roux into the soup. This binds the soup, that is, keeps the solids in suspension. They don't settle to the bottom. The soup comes out much creamier that way.

Both yellow and green split peas are enhanced by a bit of mesquite flavored liquid smoke. But add by drops. Too much will ruin the soup and cause significant heartburn. And I don't know about you, but I don't like heartburn. It's painful.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Senior Cook

neither is superior to the other-many different colors-eat what you like
Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Hmm, rainbow colored split pea soup?
Why not? I made one of those artsy things in a glass container, varying the colors of the split peas and lentils.

Tags
None