Sprouted beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
Hi,

When I lived in Los Angeles I used to eat the most amazing salads which used sprouted lentils and I don't know what else. I'm curious if anyone here uses or knows much about how to use sprouted beans and grains or could suggest some recipes. It's easy to search recipes but hard to know which ones to trust.

Thanks,

Milk:chef:

You can buy seeds online if you don't have any stores locally to buy from, though many grocery stores often sell a variety or two of sprouts. I put them on sandwiches and in salads primarily.

i have a ' bean sprouter' and I just made lentil sprouts. Usually i just sprinkle them in a salad, but i recently made a ' bulgar wheat salad' to which i added tomatoes, onions, lentil sprouts, lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper ...

Ive also done the same with couscous ( instead of the bulgar wheat).

My kids just snack on the lentil sprouts themselves.

Ill use mung or soy bean sprouts in chinese cooking ( or salads too )

As mentions earlier, can toss them on any sandwich that u would consider throwing lettuce on.

These are just ideas off the top of my head. The good thing about the sprouter and the lentils are that lentils are cheap, the sprouts are ready only after a few days, and it is so easy.

I've had them on/in various green salads, on sandwiches, and served on top of thick soups as a garnish ... going back to about 1970 in Austin, TX when I was going to UT.

I've used them - but I never needed a recipe ... I just added them to salads, sandwiches, and as a garnish for thick soups to add nutrition and flavor.

It's not rocket science - it's just bean sprouts. Use them when and where you want.

Actually ... this brings back a fond memory - the night after my freshman chem final, I had a couple of hours before I had to be at work ... had french onion soup, a tuna salad with bean sprouts on rye, and a couple of cups of red zinger tea with honey.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom