"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Ok, I tried the overnight soak to get a head start on the oats. Half an hour later I come back to my 6qt saucepan to find that a layer of oats has glued to the bottom of the pan. I used a steel turner to get this off, (not burned), and added a little butter. I walked away for another 5 minutes. The same thing happened. The oats really want to dive for the bottom. Is there a way to prevent this, other than stirring?

I made sure that there was plenty of water in the pan. usually a 1/4" above the level of the oats.

Thoughts?

Old 10-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #22
Master Chef

How about the crock pot method.

Overnight Oatmeal Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Old 11-03-2014, 01:59 AM   #23
Senior Cook

So, half a pound of steel cut oats made breakfast for me for about 4 days. I had to scrape the bottom of the pan to get them out, but they came off the bottom easily when they were cold. The oats kept their flavor quite well and had a huge grain flavor to them, that I wouldn't expect to ever get from a flaked oat.

The steel cut oats were a little extra work every day. When cold, they had the consistency of a dough. I added a generous splash of milk and they went into the microwave for 90 seconds. I had to chop the oats into the milk to get the consistency that I wanted. They were still pretty tasty and ALMOST worth the extra effort.

I can see waking up to a crockpot full of these guys happening once a month--especially with the cold weather coming. I'll definitely try to add milk instead of water to cook the oats originally. I could also see myself using applesauce instead of milk to thin these out into something really tasty.

Cheers to all who've helped get me on track here.

Tags
oatmeal