Steel Cut Oatmeal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I've been eating a lot of oatmeal lately. I've been jazzing it up with a little brown sugar, honey, or butter. I've bought a tube of instant, I've bought a tube of old fashioned, and now I want to try my hand at steel cut (pinhead) oats. I know they'll take a long time to cook, but I'm wondering if I can cook them and save them in the fridge for a few days, or in the freezer for a week or so. Surely these would be better reheated than instant.

What do you think?

Also, what are your favorite things to put on oatmeal? I've been trying to keep it really cheap lately.

I recently bought a tube of McCann's Irish Steel-Cut Oats at Costco. They are delicious. I cook them in my little rice cooker, and keep a tub of them in the fridge for the week. I like them with golden raisins, sometimes craisins, maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

mccann's is the choice of irish folk everywhere. it's sort of a joke in the emerald isle that if it's not mccann's, it's from english sewers.

i like to put grade f maple syrup on mine, or apples and cinnamon.

I get mine from Trader Joe's...."Quick Cook Steel cut Oats". It cooks in 8 minutes, and I can't tell any difference from the long cooking McCann's.

I use maple extract, brown sugar, golden raisins, and a pat of butter and milk on the top.

Steve doesn't want milk on the top.....is that "normal"?

I second the choice of McCann's and, yes, you can absolutely make up a large batch and keep the leftovers in the fridge (although you may have to thin it out a little with water or milk when reheating).

I eat steel cut and cook them in a little 6 pan. I usually add some rasins, or a few chopped, dried prunes..mixed with a little bit of milk and topped with brown sugar....never thought of doing a big batch.

Look what you can do with the McCann's can and a permanent marker. I gave my son the tin full of cookies and this is what he returned.

Some catmeal for a dog's breakfast. ;)

Attachments

• Catmeal Can.jpg
    Catmeal Can.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 300
Steel cut oats can also be put into soups in place of rice or barley. It's very good. Just make sure you don't put too much in, or you'll have soup flavored oatmeal. It taste's good, but if I want oatmeal, then it's for breakfast, and not savory.

Flavors that work with steel cut oats are as follows, and not all inclusive:

Freshly sliced strawberries, blue berries, craisins, raisins, golden raisins, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses, cinnamon, peach slices or cubes, apple, nutmeg, vanilla, and others.

For a treat, add brown sugar and vanilla, with a bit of salt to make butterscotch flavored oats.

Most fruit preserves, jams, and jellies work with the steel cut oats too.

Cocoa with sweetener, and a bit of milk is good too. I could go on. Instead, I'm going home.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

I love steel cut oats. I usually soak them overnight before cooking. Speeds up the process so they will cook in about ten minutes.

I get mine from Trader Joe's...."Quick Cook Steel cut Oats". It cooks in 8 minutes, and I can't tell any difference from the long cooking McCann's.

I use maple extract, brown sugar, golden raisins, and a pat of butter and milk on the top.

Steve doesn't want milk on the top.....is that "normal"?

We always had a splash of milk on the oatmeal to cool the edges enough so we could eat it without scorching our gizzards! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Now that it is soup season I want to try making oatmeal soup. I have seen Scottish, Mexican and Colombian soup recipes that use oatmeal as the starch in a tomato or milk based vegetable soup.

My Krups rice cooker has an oatmeal setting, and the manual has a recipe for apple spice oatmeal with almond milk. I just load everything into the rice cooker, set the timer for 30 minutes, and go take my shower. By the time I'm showered, shaved and dressed, the oatmeal is ready, and the cooker will keep it warm pretty much indefinitely.

I usually use McCanns but my regular groshree store didn't have itso I ended up with a carton of Flahavan's. It's all good.

My Mom always used apple juice as the liquid for cooking oatmeal. Very good!

That sounds perfect for this time of year!

Now you've got me thinking, apple cider, chopped apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, a few chopped walnuts, a drizzle of maple syrup and maybe a small scoop of vanilla ice cream instead of milk! Oh my! :yum:

I typically flavor oatmeal with maple syrup, apricot or strawberry jams or frozen blueberries and sugar.

aTK had a segment on this and works great. Measure the oats and water and place in a pan. Bring to a boil, cover and let sit overnight. Next morning adjust the water and reheat to a boil. Tastes great.

Back
Top Bottom