"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post
I don't know about you, but the only seasons I'm ever in the mood to eat oatmeal for breakfast are usually the ones where heating up the kitchen is a good thing.
Some of us eat oatmeal year round for the health benefits, so it's not just a seasonal dish. And, some people are not that fond of a cold cereal for breakfast. If using a crock-pot makes it easier and will encourage someone to eat a healthy breakfast more often than if they have to do it in a pot on top of the stove ... well, what's wrong with that?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Some of us eat oatmeal year round for the health benefits, so it's not just a seasonal dish. And, some people are not that fond of a cold cereal for breakfast. If using a crock-pot makes it easier and will encourage someone to eat a healthy breakfast more often than if they have to do it in a pot on top of the stove ... well, what's wrong with that?

Which is why I prefaced my comment with "I don't know about you".

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I tried Alton Brown's recipe without the dates, just 1 cup of steel cut oats and 4 cups of water and it looked done after 3 hours. All the extra water was gone. I added some brown sugar like I always do and tried it and it seemed like there was some crunchiness to it - like there were some grain shells, not like Captain Crunch, but not like regular oatmeal. Since this is Wyoming, maybe I should add more water and try to cook it longer. Also, I'm also thinking it might be a good idea to put a 120v timer in the circuit in case I don't make it home in time to turn it off. Of course if I do it overnight, I can always set the alarm. I'll bet Bill Gates already has that one figured out in his house.

Tags
None