"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Steel cut oats in a crock pot

I found a source for steel cut oats: a 25# bag for around $18. I want to buy a crock pot. Has anyone had any experience cooking steel cut oats in a crock pot? I was going to get the small one at Wallyworld for $15.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by zliminator View Post
I found a source for steel cut oats: a 25# bag for around $18. I want to buy a crock pot. Has anyone had any experience cooking steel cut oats in a crock pot? I was going to get the small one at Wallyworld for $15.
Wow, you mean people still actually buy appliances there? I thought everyone had figured out how crappy their versions of reputable name brand appliances really were....

PS: If you don't already own one of those wretched devices, there's no reason to go out and buy one to do something you can already do with a stove and a good stock pot.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Head Chef

I use my small 4-cup "Crockette" for making my Steel Cut Oats, filling it before I go to bed and its ready to eat when I get up in the morning. I haven't done it in my big slow cooker, but others have, and then the excess is frozen in serving portions for eating later.

You can also make your oats in a wide-mouth Thermos over night. 1/4 cups oats and 1 cup boiling water. By morning you have cooked oats.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Master Chef

Well, as for the crock-pot from WalMart, probably the model SCRP500-B since that is the only one I could find for $15, is sold at other stores and online, too. The big problem seems to be that everyone is sold out! It's not going to be as durable or have all of the features of the more expensive models - but it should certainly do what you want to do.

I'm guessing your thinking along the lines of Alton Brown's Overnight Oatmeal? Yep, pretty good. I'm not a big cranberry fan so I used dried apricots ... yummy. Dried apple and banana chips turned out pretty good, too.

This is something that I would not try to do on a stove in a stock pot! It would probably work in a pot in the oven overnight ... but the crock-pot will not heat your kitchen up and is more energy efficient.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post
PS: If you don't already own one of those wretched devices, there's no reason to go out and buy one to do something you can already do with a stove and a good stock pot.
Ok, now I'm gonna have to ask you to step outside.

Here is one thing you can do. Put everything in it and go to work without worrying about the house burning down.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Ok, now I'm gonna have to ask you to step outside.

Here is one thing you can do. Put everything in it and go to work without worrying about the house burning down.
I left a pot of veal bones, veal stew meat, and root veggies on low all day (video evidence at link below) and it didn't burn my house down.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
but the crock-pot will not heat your kitchen up.
I don't know about you, but the only seasons I'm ever in the mood to eat oatmeal for breakfast are usually the ones where heating up the kitchen is a good thing.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
I don't know about you, but the only seasons I'm ever in the mood to eat oatmeal for breakfast are usually the ones where heating up the kitchen is a good thing.
You must not have kids Weather and temperature and logic do not dictate their bellies
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
You must not have kids Weather and temperature and logic do not dictate their bellies
I have an 11 year old who doesn't particularly care for oatmeal.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Wow, you mean people still actually buy appliances there? I thought everyone had figured out how crappy their versions of reputable name brand appliances really were....

Besides the potential fire hazard and questions about quality, I'm also somewhat hesitant on sending money to China. I should look on ebay.

Tags
None