Steve Kroll's Signature Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
My "signature dish" is something I often make, simply because it's quick and easy and I almost always have the ingredients on hand. Since it's also vegetarian, we sometimes have this on "Meatless Mondays".

Southwest Black Beans & Rice

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (optional)
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 14 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes with the juice
  • 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
  • 2 cans black beans
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • Juice from one lime
  • 3 cups cooked brown rice
  • Accompaniments such as shredded cheese, chopped scallions, sour cream, pickled jalapenos.
Preparation

Saute onion and bell pepper (and jalapeno, if used) in olive oil over medium high heat until translucent, but not browned. Add minced garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, and paprika. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and stir in black beans and heat through. Season to taste. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water. You don't want it to be soup, but it should have a bit of "gravy."

Just before serving, stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Serve over brown rice and garnish with shredded cheese, scallions, or whatever else you like.

My "signature dish" is something I often make, simply because it's quick and easy and I almost always have the ingredients on hand. Since it's also vegetarian, we sometimes have this on "Meatless Mondays".

<recipe>

Your BB&R sound real good, Steve! I eat them quite often. Love em! I usually have corn bread on the side with them. Then I have some corn bread with butter and molasses for dessert.

Last edited:
i like the looks of your beans and rice dish, steve. new orleans taught me the glory of beans, rice and gravy on a plate together. i will be making yours real soon.... :)

PrincessFiona60 said:
Looks like I have most of the ingredients for this, too! Planning Saturday meal...

I was just going to say that too!

C and P!

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (optional)
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 14 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes with the juice
  • 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
  • 2 cans black beans
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • Juice from one lime
  • 3 cups cooked brown rice
  • Accompaniments such as shredded cheese, chopped scallions, sour cream, pickled jalapenos.
Preparation

Saute onion and bell pepper (and jalapeno, if used) in olive oil over medium high heat until translucent, but not browned. Add minced garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, and paprika. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and stir in black beans and heat through. Season to taste. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water. You don't want it to be soup, but it should have a bit of "gravy."

Just before serving, stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Serve over brown rice and garnish with shredded cheese, scallions, or whatever else you like.

i see a smiling, healthy-looking bill clinton claiming (convincingly) that he is a vegan these days, and likes the food in his now meatless life. he must be eating meals like your signature dish, steve, to be able to present such a picture of contentment....:):chef:

i see a smiling, healthy-looking bill clinton claiming (convincingly) that he is a vegan these days, and likes the food in his now meatless life. he must be eating meals like your signature dish, steve, to be able to present such a picture of contentment....:):chef:
You'd have to omit the cheese and sour cream toppings, but otherwise it's a vegan dish.

I don't avoid meat or animal proteins entirely, but I do try to limit them to 2 servings per week. And even then only small portions of lean cuts. I do this more for health reasons than anything else. Heart disease and diabetes runs in my family. My mom had a triple bypass when she was only 52 years old. I'm only a couple of years away from that age.

So I eat lots and lots of veggies. I love veggies, so it's not a hard thing to do.

Having said that, cheese is my real weakness! I've cut back quite a bit, but I still love the stuff and doubt I could ever give it up completely. They will have to pry the Gouda or Stilton from my cold, dead fingers. :)

Something must be making 'ol Bill content :angel:

i see a smiling, healthy-looking bill clinton claiming (convincingly) that he is a vegan these days, and likes the food in his now meatless life.

This really has nothing to do with politics, but a lot to do with trust. When a man cheats on his wife, I don't believe anything he says after that point. Nothing what-so-ever, ever again. Same with the other way around also. Nothing that comes out of that mans mouth is believable.

Back
Top Bottom