"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-12-2004, 08:56 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I did add parmesan cheese to the pesto, but still didn't like it too much. Maybe I should have LIGHTLY coated the penne pasta.

I used: 1/3 c pine nuts, 5-6 sprigs of fresh basil, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese and 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil, 3/4 cup fresh spinach, salt and pepper.

Where did I go wrong?

Dina :?

Old 06-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I didn't say I totally hated it cause I did "swallow" some of it. LOL I just saw a recipe from Lori. Lori, are you out there? Your recipe is very similar in ingredients and quantities as mine. Can I have your sun dried tomato pesto recipe?

Dina

Old 06-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to chefwannabe Send a message via Yahoo to chefwannabe
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto

1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
3 tablespoons chopped garlic (9 cloves)
5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups good olive oil
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Place the walnuts, pignolis, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 15 seconds. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute. Use right away or store the pesto in the refrigerator or freezer with a thin film of olive oil on top.

Notes: Air is the enemy of pesto. For freezing, pack it in containers with a film of oil or plastic wrap directly on top with the air pressed out.
To clean basil, remove the leaves, swirl them in a bowl of water, and then spin them very dry in a salad spinner. Store them in a closed plastic bag with a slightly damp paper towel. As long as the leaves are dry they will stay green for several days.

Yield: 4 cups

"Life is like a box of chocolates. All your friends get the good stuff and you get the leftovers."
chefwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 11:30 AM   #14
Executive Chef

This is the recipe I was planning to make, if I liked the pesto. I never did make it, but here it is if anyone's interested.

Pasta, Pesto, and Peas
Ina Garten - Barefoot Contesa

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 12 servings

3/4 pound fusilli pasta
3/4 pound bow tie pasta
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 1/2 cups pesto, packaged or see recipe below
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cups good mayonnaise
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
1/3 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cook the fusilli and bow ties separately in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 to 12 minutes until each pasta is al dente. Drain and toss into a bowl with the olive oil. Cool to room temperature.
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, puree the pesto, spinach, and lemon juice. Add the mayonnaise and puree. Add the pesto mixture to the cooled pasta and then add the Parmesan, peas, pignolis, salt, and pepper. Mix well, season to taste, and serve at room temperature.

Pesto:
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
3 tablespoons chopped garlic (9 cloves)
5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups good olive oil
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Place the walnuts, pignolis, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 15 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute. Use right away or store the pesto in the refrigerator or freezer with a thin film of olive oil on top.
Notes: Air is the enemy of pesto. For freezing, pack it in containers with a film of oil or plastic wrap directly on top with the air pressed out.

To clean basil, remove the leaves, swirl them in a bowl of water, and then spin them very dry in a salad spinner. Store them in a closed plastic bag with a slightly damp paper towel. As long as the leaves are dry they will stay green for several days.

Yield: 4 cups

Dina
Old 06-13-2004, 01:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The only thing I see that I could possibly question is the size of the sprigs you are using. If the sprigs are about 4-6 inches long then you have enough basil. And then again pesto just may be one of those things that you don't really care for! Basil is a strong flavor. Before my tastes "developed" I just thought all fresh herbs tasted "green" - sort of like grass. Then somewhere along the line I began to taste the individual flavors and quit lumping them together as just tasting "green".

Ironchef - for some reason I always thought there was an acid - don't know where I got that!! I think the chef I used to work for pounded that into my head. We used to make this chunky smoked tomato sauce for crab cakes that I would give anything to remember how we made it. All I remember is smelling like smoked tomatoes for a very long time after I made it! LOL

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:25 AM   #16
Executive Chef

kitchenelf,

I have tasted fresh basil and it is quite strong, but I still like it. But then, I had never had pine nuts in any of my salads. I'm wondering if toasting the pine nuts in the oven would make a difference, or just using much less next time? I'll try a new pesto recipe again because my husband DID eat it! Mikey! He eats everything. :D But I'll have to lightly coat the pasta with the pesto next time too.

Dina :?: :?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:32 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

OMG Dina - I have a Mikey too!!!!!! He's the same way! LOL

Yes, toasting the pine nuts until golden in the oven brings out a nicer flavor in them. You might try cutting them back also. I have used too many pine nuts before and the pesto almost leaves a dry feeling in your mouth. I make my pesto on the thicker side in case I want to use some of it for a goat cheese/sundried tomato/pesto torte and then I thin it with more olive oil for uses in other things.

If you like Bruschetta try a little goat cheese slathered on the bread first, top with your tomato basil mixture, and then top with a line of pesto. Heaven!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2004, 10:00 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Kitchenelf,

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to make two pestos-one with roasted pine nuts and one without them. I'll add some sun dried tomatoes too and see how that works. I love just about anything and I refuse to give up on pesto with only my first attempt at it.

I'll use my MIKEY to try them first....heeheehee! I'm so bad

Dina
Old 06-14-2004, 11:21 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Make the one with plain pine nuts a very small quantity. I feel sure you will like the toasted pine nuts better and with less pine nuts possibly. The sundried tomatoes will be nice and rich!!!!! My husband, who is really a Michael, loves his job as "Mikey". LOL

Old 06-14-2004, 11:35 PM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
i say cream and pine nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
None