"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-11-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thanks but No Thanks to Pesto!

I was so excited to make pesto cause it just looked so good on pasta, but just did not like it. I don't know if it was the raw ingredients or the pine nuts. And I love garlic, basil and olive oil, but then again, I always cook them through on a meal. Or maybe I just coated my penne pasta too much with the pesto. Who knows...I wish there was something similar but with a milder taste. I think I'll stick to my tomato/basil and alfredo sauces. :?

Dina

Old 06-11-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Everymom

Did your recipe include parmesan cheese too? You should also (and I know you will love this!) add about 1/2 cup cream to the pesto when mixing it with pasta...YUM!

Old 06-11-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
If you like the things you mentioned then I'm not sure how you can NOT like pesto. Would you post your recipe so Alix and I can look at it? I make mine with basil, garlic, toasted pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, kosher salt and pesto always calls for some kind of acid - some use white vinegar, others use lemon, I prefer fresh limes.

When I use mine on pasta I usually heat up some extra olive oil (quite a bit) and add my pesto to it or use it very sparingly as it has such a large flavor.

Cream??? Oh great, now I can add more calories I feel sure you just used too much because a little truly goes a long way. You can also reserve some pasta water and mix with it to thin it out.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Cook

other pestos

Alot of people think the basil is too strong try making it with other herbs or vegetables. Try sun-dried tomato pesto or spinach pesto or with whatever you like. Just substitute another ingredient for the basil.I like to mix a few different ones like mushroom.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
Everymom

Kitchenelf, I would love to post my pesto here, and will, but I warn you I am a rather slapdash sort of cook. I just do whatever looks right to me so please feel free to amend my recipe as it is just as close as I can get.

Alix's Pesto

One handful (1 cup?) of fresh basil leaves. Pick out any stems or nasty looking leaves. Put this in your food processor.

Add about 2/3 cup pine nuts, and pulse your food processor until all is chopped fine.

Add as much garlic as you like...we like about 3 minced cloves. Start with about 1/2 cup olive oil and buzz until it is pasty. Add more oil as required. I also throw in a little salt, but not too much pepper as a good friend is allergic to it.

If you are freezing it. Stop here and put it in containers. For serving immediately...read on!

Add about 1/2 parmesan cheese and blend some more. The mixture should be a thick goopy consistency (hungry yet? LOL!). We like to take about a 1/3 cup of this mixture and mix with an equal amount of fresh farm cream. Heat gently and toss with your pasta. This is especially tasty with any lightly stir fried fresh veggies on hand. Zucchini, peppers, broccoli, beans, snow peas. It's all good.

Unfortunately, kitchenelf, I have tried to lower the fat content, and alas it is completely yucky with low fat alternatives. So...either omit the cream and do it with some pasta water, or....enjoy the extra calories!
Old 06-11-2004, 07:09 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi Alix,

Maybe Dina can compare her recipe to yours. Yours sounds like a lot of pine nuts but I'm like you - I have never really measured it when I make it. I would guess that mine is very similar with the addition of lime juice (like I said most use lemon juice and some use white vinegar). The lime juice to me is very refreshing and I usually use lime instead of lemon, even in my cocktail sauce.

I don't think I add quite as many pine nuts as you do but who knows for sure!!!! LOL

And, up to this point the fat that is in here is all good - now I'm still trying to convince myself that cream is good for the body :oops: - Didn't Cleopatra bathe in it? Well, my insides are silky smooth instead of my outsides! LOL :roll:

Havea you ever tried a rosemary pesto? Similar but no parmesan and no pinenuts, then add some dijon mustard, soy sauce, salad oil, and use as a coating for a leg of lamb - OMG, it's heaven! I don't know if I've ever posted it - if not I'll post tomorrow.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:44 PM   #7
Executive Chef

you need either parmesan, asiago, or pecorino romano cheese to tone down the harshness of the raw garlic and balance out the flavors. You may need to add more olive oil as well. When I trained under this Italian chef, the consistency of his pesto was like a loose pancake batter. It shouldn't be as thick as a lot of the pestos you see. You also don't necessarily need an acid, but you can add it if you think it evens out the flavor a bit. You might also want to do a 1/2 and 1/2 combination of basil and Italian flat leaf parsley, or you could use arugula.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:54 AM   #8
Everymom

You could be right kitchenelf, I usually just dump until it looks right! I never measure. Where are you going to post that other recipe? I want to try it out.

Ironchef...arugula? Really? I may have to try that. And you say loose pancake batter is the consistency I am going for? OK...so just more oil then? Thanks for the tips. I greatly appreciate any "tweaking" you can offer me.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:41 PM   #9
Executive Chef

oops...in my reply i meant that you may need to add MORE cheese if neccessary. the olive oil you are using is extra virgin right? since the oil has a flavor of it's own, adding more will balance the pesto out. The oil will eventually seperate from the pesto, but that's how the chef taught me to make it.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:33 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to chefwannabe Send a message via Yahoo to chefwannabe
I love pesto. I especially like sun-dried tomato pesto. You can basically make this just by adding some sun-dried tomatoes to your favorite pesto recipe. It's very difficult to find basil around here lately, so I have had to resort to buying prepared pesto. Luckily, I found a great one at Costco's for only $6.79 for a tall jar. I take a little cooked chopped chicken, toss it with a little pesto and put it on my homemade pizzas and we love it. My friend and I are also thinking about adding a little pesto to alfredo sauce and serving it with Parmesan crusted chicken and fettucine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates. All your friends get the good stuff and you get the leftovers."
chefwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None