"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Master Chef
The bean topic you've been waiting for

I want all of your bean recipes, hot, cold, sweet, savory, side dish, main course, desert, any kind of bean.

Beans are an extremely health food, one of the "super-foods". I know so many different bean recipes, but suspect that there are ways to use this wonderful legume that I haven't thought of in my wildest culinary dreams.

So, let's see your best.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Traditional Mediterranean Legume Dishes

Buon Girono,

Our Mediterranean legume dishes, I have prepared over the years off top of my head are:

1) Pasta Fagioli, often called Pasta Fazool: chick peas, ditalini, tomato, garlic ...

2) Cannelli Hummus: same as Chickpea Hummus, using the Italian White Bean variety Cannelli ...

3) Hummus: Chick peas, sesame paste, Evoo, paprika, cumin ...

4) Caldo Gallego: this Iberian Galician soup is prepared with white beans, indigenious to Spain and are similar to navy beans called Alubias ...

5) Fabada Asturiana: this sausage, tomato and garlic stew is made with Pochas, a very large ear shaped beige indigenious color legume from the lands of Asturias ...

6) Cannelli e Escarola: this traditional shepherd´s soup is prepared with garlic, white legumes called cannelli, escarola ( curly escarole ) and bread with vegetable or chicken stock ...

7) Lentejas con Chorizo: Green Castillian Lentil beans prepared with sausages, sweet and piquant, pancetta and vegetables ...

8) Alubias Rojas de Tudela: Tudela, Navarra Red Beans are prepared with sausages, vegetables and pancetta.

If a specific recipe is of interest, please note, I could post the recipe.

Have Nice Wednesday.
Margaux Cintrano

Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Master Chef
I make a simple kidney bean salad in the summer that goes over well.

1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar

Mix together and set aside (even better if made the day before)

2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4-6 hard boiled eggs diced
1/2 jar dill cubes or dill relish

Mix together with dressing. Refrigerate. Stir well before serving. The beans tend to sink to the bottom of the bowl so it looks rather bland until you stir it up again.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Head Chef
Black Bean Patties with Cilantro and Lime Recipe | MyRecipes.com

VEGETABLE CHILI from Bon Appetit Epicurious.com: Recipes, Menus, Cooking Articles & Food Guides

Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Tuna/White Bean Salad with celery and their leaves, red bell pepper, sweet onion, green peas, tomatoes, etc. with a Dijon vinaigrette.
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Head Chef
I have a few cold green bean salads, if you're interested...

Mushroom & green bean salad
Green bean caprese salad
Green beans, cherry tomatoes & creme fraiche

Roasted Red Potato & Green Bean Salad (w/ feta cheese, dill or mint)

Roasted Potato and Green Bean Salad Recipe - RecipeTips.com
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I love copycat Olive Garden Pasta y Fagioli, Emeril's Red Beans and Rice, and my own bean soup, which is never the same as I don't use a recipe. Sort of like my chili, which will never be duplicated, as I never use a recipe for it either!

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I love bean soup. I try to use the most collagen rich meats in them as I truly believe the collagen is good for my osteoporosis.

I'm 65, almost 66 years old, and am still 5'4" so I think it works. Turkey necks are a strong flavored collagen rich meat that I've been using lately.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
I love my fathers's pinto's simple cook for 3-4 hrs. Take 1 lb of pintos, soak over night, drain and then add 3 cans beef broth you can add more if you like. saute a large yellow onion, 4- cloves crushed garlic then add it to a large deep pot, put in 1/2 lb. sliced lardon's of peppered bacon 1 80z can tomatoe sauce Italian type tomatoes add Worchestershire sauce to your taste I like 5-6 dashes several teas. of brownsugar, I also add some molasses about 1/4 cup or so 3-4 dashes Tabasco sauce forget it if you have small kids how are not into Heat.Put lid on you pot keep it ajar cook 2-3 hrs. Serve with thick sliced french bread and butter and a green salad icey cold say a Ceasar with anchovies
a fave way my sis and I love this is to take a piece of fresh white bread, drizzle with the bean juice, then add some of the beans roll in to a roll lean over the sink and manga
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I want all of your bean recipes, hot, cold, sweet, savory, side dish, main course, desert, any kind of bean.

Beans are an extremely health food, one of the "super-foods". I know so many different bean recipes, but suspect that there are ways to use this wonderful legume that I haven't thought of in my wildest culinary dreams.

So, let's see your best.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
morning chief
broad beans are my all time fava-rite(sorry) bean & i love cooking them this way,nothing new or groundbreaking but it is delish.leave out the cream & butter & use a bit more evoo,a splash of dry white wine & a pinch of dried chilli flakes & season with the parmesan at the end of cooking for a healthy option/variation
frozen baby broad beans work just as well.
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm not a huge fan of beans. When I was a vegetarian, I used to cook up some beans, put them through the meat grinder, and fry them up with onion as though it was ground beef. I used to use instead of ground beef in pasta sauce, sloppy Joes, etc.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote