"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Sous Chef

It sounds labor intensive but one day I did have a wild hair and tomato's where on sale and beautiful at the store. The blanching was really easy and then I just cut the tomato's in half and stuck my thumb in the holes to get the seeds out. It was not hard. The sauce was amazing. It really is worth the humbug if you find great tomato's (or grow them!)

As no mayonnaise says, it goes really quickly once you have the tomato's peeled and seeded. Have that pasta ready to go and you will be in heaven.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if you don't skin the tomatoes, they (the skins) roll up and turn into unpleasant little spikes in the sauce.

getting rid of the seeds and mucilaginous stuff simply reduces the amount of time needed to cook down the tomatoes into sauce, especially if you use tomatoes that have a lot of it in them, like the larger, more round tomatoes.

also, with less cooking you retain a brighter tomato flavour.

that's why roma or plum tomatoes are preferred for sauce. they have a larger flesh to skin/seed ratio, and are less watery.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

The seeds in tomato are bitter and can throw off the sauce. This true of most veggies that have seeds. So you really do need to remove them. The skins are very unpleasant to find in a sauce. So its really important to remove them also. The preprations of the tomatoes are the easy part. It is the choice of herbs that is all important. You have received some very good advice from the members. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The seeds in tomato are bitter and can throw off the sauce. This true of most veggies that have seeds. So you really do need to remove them. The skins are very unpleasant to find in a sauce. So its really important to remove them also. The preprations of the tomatoes are the easy part. It is the choice of herbs that is all important. You have received some very good advice from the members. Good luck.

Cooks Illustrated
tested cooked tomato sauce with and without seeds and found the flavor to be identical. They also say that the gel surrounding the seeds contains lots of flavorful compounds, so if you choose to remove the seeds for aesthetic reasons, be sure to retain the gel. That's a big pain

They also tasted the seeds by themselves and detected no bitter flavor. Tomatoes are botanically fruits, not vegetables, and people eat pumpkin seeds all the time.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...and people eat pumpkin seeds all the time.
Have you ever tried to split open a tomato seed to get to the stuff inside?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Have you ever tried to split open a tomato seed to get to the stuff inside?
No, I haven't. I said that to illustrate that tomato seeds are not bitter, like pumpkin seeds, which are also botanically a fruit and people eat them all the time.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
No, I haven't. I said that to illustrate that tomato seeds are not bitter, like pumpkin seeds, which are also botanically a fruit and people eat them all the time.

I'm not sure you should make that leap. Apples are fruits and I wouldn't eat the seeds. Grapes are fruits and I wouldn't eat their seeds, etc.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm not sure you should make that leap. Apples are fruits and I wouldn't eat the seeds. Grapes are fruits and I wouldn't eat their seeds, etc.
Okay, I take it back The real point is that tomato seeds don't cause tomato sauce to taste bitter, so I don't bother to remove them.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Okay, I take it back The real point is that tomato seeds don't cause tomato sauce to taste bitter, so I don't bother to remove them.

Neither do I.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
Sous Chef

If you don't mind seeds and skins, use them. In your kitchen you are the boss. Ditto for fresh tomatoes ... Ragu starts with fresh tomatoes. I agree with GotGarlic, check the label of the product your are trying to duplicate. The order listed will be how the ingredients were added as far as their quantities. I also used canned tomatoes/paste as a sauce base.

Tags
sauce