"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-02-2004, 09:04 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Although I've heard that hot water leeches a variety of metals/minerals that aren't good for human consumption, after a quick search I could only track down one authority that talks about lead.

From the Minnesota Department of Health Website:

Use cold tap water and heat it on the stove if you need hot water for food preparation. Hot tap water absorbs more lead from pipes and pipe solder. Let tap water run for at least two minutes if the water has been standing in the pipes for 6 hours or more. This flushes out the water that might have absorbed lead from the pipes or the solder that joins the pipes together.

Here is the link:
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/h.../npa/lead.html

Old 03-02-2004, 03:21 PM   #12
Cook

Send a message via AIM to northernMIcook Send a message via Yahoo to northernMIcook
Lead in water is a problem mostly in older homes that use lead solder but even in newer homes hot water can put excess copper into drinking water.

Old 03-02-2004, 06:44 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

thanks for the receipe elf i will give it a try this weekend if i want a thick noodle should i still roll it out thin? i am looking for a thicker noodle never did this i have to ask thanks :oops:
Old 03-02-2004, 06:46 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
They will plump up - why don't you roll them out in different batches "playing" with the thickness - that way you'll know for sure and it's not like they will be bad or anything!!!! LOL

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:08 PM   #15
Cook

Send a message via AIM to northernMIcook Send a message via Yahoo to northernMIcook
Quote:
if u know about spatzels do you make sterum thats like a fried sweet bread
No, I have no idea what sterum is. I was taught to make noodles and spatzel from my granmother. My one grandmother is swedish and dutch, the other is slovak, grandfather was german and belgian, other one was prussian so I am familar with a variety of etnic foods but dont know alot about any...did I say that right? :roll: Anyways, just to mix it up, I married an Italian.
Do you have a recipe for sterum? I would love to try some new. :D
Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly740
i'm from western pa. and i was at a eat n park had a bowl of noodle soup and they were a real thick noodle would anyone happen to know what kind of a noodle there are i really like them and would like to have them to
add to my veg soup

I'm from eastern pa. i just bought a bag of these wide noodles at the Kutztown fair I know you can get them from the Amish this is the information on the label Dietrich's meats and country store 610-756-6344 www.dietrichsmeats.com $4.50 for a 1lb bag hope this helps
Old 07-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Hi scott123,
I'm just inquisitive - not confrontational - If I was confrontational my ex would be under a semi STILL trying to get out! :oops:
A woman after my own heart.

Tags
None