Thinking about making some pasta pie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill,

This is a large rectangular pastry filled with tuna etcetra. Much more than four, of course depending on the size of the slices. It is a well known tapa in Santiago de Compostela, Galicia and Montforte de Lemos, Lugo, Galicia ...

This can probably feed 12 people at least, and can be eaten cold or hot ...

A square should be about the average size of a piece of Sicilian Pizza.

Kind regards,
Have lovely summer,
Ciao, Margi.

Last edited:
Luca: 3 Photos of 3 Different Styles of Savoury Pies

Photo 1:

Attachments

• pastry chicken & sausage.jpg
    pastry chicken & sausage.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 216
Looking for Spanish Pastry Filling

I'm looking for a filling for a savory pastry that I used to buy at the local pasteleria in Madrid where I grew up. It had currants and pine nuts in it, and I thought it was meat-filled, but my sister said she thinks it had tuna. It had an exotic flavor to it (almost reminded me of something Arabic or Sicilian) and of course as a hungry teenager I never asked what they put in it, but now I live in Florida and I am so craving those pasteles! It was shaped like a small loaf, so it was not the typical empanada shape. Can anyone help?

I'm looking for a filling for a savory pastry that I used to buy at the local pasteleria in Madrid where I grew up. It had currants and pine nuts in it, and I thought it was meat-filled, but my sister said she thinks it had tuna. It had an exotic flavor to it (almost reminded me of something Arabic or Sicilian) and of course as a hungry teenager I never asked what they put in it, but now I live in Florida and I am so craving those pasteles! It was shaped like a small loaf, so it was not the typical empanada shape. Can anyone help?

Calling Margi to the Rescue! Where are you Margi. If anyone can help with this request, it is our Margi. If you give her the neighborhood, she can probably tell you the name of the place where you bought it. She is not only extremely generous with her recipes, but also the history behind the food and the locale.

Yoohoo, Margi! Where are you? :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Spanish Pastry Filling

Oh, Addie, thanks for the acknowledgement - Okay, it was a pasteleria around the Dr. Fleming/Juan Ramon Jimenez area, but it was a very long time ago (1960s-70s). I've just recently started ordering the boquerones in olive oil and vinagre that they sold in the supermercado downstairs from our apartment. (Yum.)

Patsa, Bienvenidos,

Welcome to D.C. firstly.

2ndly, it sounds as if you are referring to Empanada Gallega con Atún ... ( post 24 on this thread has foto of this pastry ) ... Is this the one ? It is the most famous and can be made with lacón, smoked ham too ...

Currants and Pinenuts are not usual however, in Galician cuisine. Pinenuts and currants are more Moorish as the Moors were veered towards fruit and nuts combined in pastries and with meats or fish or poultry, and thus, it can be a Catalan or Mallorquin pastry.

I know the Cuzco and Santiago Bernabeu neighborhoods quite well, and there are numerous bakeries there ... I would suggest:

a. Is a foto possible ( is it a huge rectangular pastry filled with tuna, and other seafood items, galician onion, garlic, bell peppers and it is seasoned with smoked paprika) ?

b. there is a bakery, still in business which had started during the 1950s and is well known by Expats, who had worked at the enormous Military Bases during the 50s, 60s and 70s ... It is still there, and owned by a man who is not an Expat, however, he is widely known by numerous expats ...

C. This is certainly the Cuzco neighborhood ...

d. we have a client and friend of many years, who has a restaurant on Juan Jiménez and the winemaker owner is also a rancher and owner of enormous cattle ranches in Brazil and my husband, The Vet, is his animal doctor and advisor in cattle research.

E. I shall peek about the Spanish google tool and see what I can find in Catalonia and Moorish influenced pastries ---

Kind regards.
Margaux Cintrano

Last edited:
Margi,
Thank you for the quick reply. I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere!

I have been Googling the Spanish pastry filling and came up with the Gallego version, but that's not it. As I recall they were small, individual pastries that looked like they had been baked in small loaf pan. Of course, in my Google travels I "stumbled upon" DiscussCooking and I thought, perfect place to continue my search.

Can't provide a foto as the last time I had this was - well, over thirty years ago! I'm willing to experiment with variations.

The pasteleria was downstairs from our apartment on Pedro Muguruza, which, yes, was around the Cuzco/San Bernabeu area; I mean, I used to walk to the Cuzco hotel and the stadium from our residence, although it wasn't exactly a short walk. Now that I think about it, the pasteleria was also a restaurant. Fabulous croissants, too.

Cocas: Mallorquin Sweet Pastry Empada

Patsa,

I am veered toward Cocas, sweet pastry dough called empada which is empanada in Spanish ... The toppings can be sweet and extremely varied ...

I tend to prefer the savoury traditional from Santiago de Compostela, with tuna and bell pepper, tomato, garlic, smoked cayenne paprika, and grelos which are an indigenious type of beetroot top ( greens ) and spring onion.

Is it an empanada ? which means Empanar : to wrap and coat or cover in bread or dough and to bake in a pastry covering ...

COCA: is usually like a large rectangular Pizza without cheese however, and is covered in desired ingredients and baked --- can be sweet or savoury ---

We shall locate your sweet tooth pleasure, however, after 5th September, because we are at our apartment in Puglia Italia until the 4th or 5th ...

*** Sweet Empanada Dough

3 tlbps water
2 eggs
2 sticks butter sweet
pinch of salt to taste
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups flour all purpose

Best regards. Margaux.

Description: Small Sweet Empanada

Just got your reply ... and thus, now I know we are hunting for a small sweet empanada ...

I am on the Gargano Peninsula where we have our apartment and shall not be in Madrid until 4th or 5th September ... However, when I arrive in Madrid, I shall plan a walk over to the streets you have mentioned and with a colleague journalist, we shall find the Bakery, which is still open ...

I also have numerous Spanish cookbks at home, however, not here in Gargano.

So, patience and I shall do what we can to assist.

Kind regards.
Margaux. :cool: :rolleyes: ;)

Spanish Pastry Filling

Margaux,
Many thanks for the dough recipe. I think you misunderstood me; I am looking for a savory pastry. It is a savory filling, not sweet. Either with meat or tuna, and with pine nuts and currants. (It maybe even had azafran in it.)

That sounds like a lot of trouble you would incur on my behalf, so please don't feel that you must - unless you like the thrill of the hunt! :LOL:

I wish I could go look myself.

Thanks so much

Josie,
Thank you for the welcome! I just stumbled across this forum when searching for a recipe of a savory Spanish pastry filling I had in my youth. Any miniscule free time I have, I look for recipes.:pig:

Patsa,

We live walkable or just a bit south of Santiago Bernabeu and to the east ...

Okay, now I took down the notes: savoury pastry with tuna, currants and pinenuts ... Or a meat variety with same ingredients, currants and pinenuts ...

It is an empanada or empada in Galician and Portuguese.

Have nice evening,
Margi.

Thank you so much, Margaux.
To make it easier: The place was located on Pedro Muguruza.

It's still morning here, so el almuerzo is still a couple of hours away.

Saluti,
Patsa

Empanadillas

Buonasera, Buenas Tardes, Good Afternoon,

I have found a recipe in Spanish from Ms. Simone Ortega: Volume 1 of:

1,080 Recetas de Cocina ...

The Dough:

300 grams all purpose flour
25 grams butter
2 tblps. Evoo = extra virgin olive oil light ( for example: 100% Hojiblanca Olive Variety )
1 egg
salt to taste
1 glass water
seasonings to taste

The Filling:

1 medium size onion minced finely and sautéed in Evoo 6 mins. until transparent

ground pork or Spanish Ham or Chicken or Tuna

baguette style bread: one day old breadcrumbs from baguette breaded

nutmeg, parsley, currants, pinenuts

Combine all and fill the empanadillas ...

I thank you for your lovely note, and all my best until we return to Madrid Capital ... we shall walk over to Calle Pedro Mugruza and see what we can do and take some photos and Post them.

Hope this recipe from Simone, can assist in meantime ...

I am also going to check with a well known Chef client and friend, and see what recipes he recommends.

Best Regards,
Ciao. Margaux.

Last edited:
Muchisimas gracias, Margaux: I'm so excited! I'm going to try the recipe this weekend (as, alas, I have no time during the week to putz in the kitchen).

Lo voy a pasar bomba! (And I look forward to seeing fotos.)

Ciao.

Back
Top Bottom