"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Bill,

This is a large rectangular pastry filled with tuna etcetra. Much more than four, of course depending on the size of the slices. It is a well known tapa in Santiago de Compostela, Galicia and Montforte de Lemos, Lugo, Galicia ...

This can probably feed 12 people at least, and can be eaten cold or hot ...

A square should be about the average size of a piece of Sicilian Pizza.

Kind regards,
Have lovely summer,
Ciao, Margi.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Luca: 3 Photos of 3 Different Styles of Savoury Pies

Photo 1:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pastry chicken & sausage.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	14702  

Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Luca: Photo 2 - Margaux

Photo 2: chicken filled savoury pie pastry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pastry chicken pie.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	14703  
Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Photo 3 Pastry Savoury Pie: Margaux

Santiago de Compostela, Empanada Gallega Savoury Tuna Pie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	santiago empanada.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	14704  
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Photo 4: Luca

From Margaux
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pas.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	14705  
Old 07-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I surprised no one has mentioned Cipaille...it is pastry-based. A friend's mom used to add pasta to it. When served, the ketchup is NOT the bottled kind--it is homemade.

Cipaille Pot Pie Recipe - Food.com - 269937
Old 08-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Looking for Spanish Pastry Filling

I'm looking for a filling for a savory pastry that I used to buy at the local pasteleria in Madrid where I grew up. It had currants and pine nuts in it, and I thought it was meat-filled, but my sister said she thinks it had tuna. It had an exotic flavor to it (almost reminded me of something Arabic or Sicilian) and of course as a hungry teenager I never asked what they put in it, but now I live in Florida and I am so craving those pasteles! It was shaped like a small loaf, so it was not the typical empanada shape. Can anyone help?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsa View Post
I'm looking for a filling for a savory pastry that I used to buy at the local pasteleria in Madrid where I grew up. It had currants and pine nuts in it, and I thought it was meat-filled, but my sister said she thinks it had tuna. It had an exotic flavor to it (almost reminded me of something Arabic or Sicilian) and of course as a hungry teenager I never asked what they put in it, but now I live in Florida and I am so craving those pasteles! It was shaped like a small loaf, so it was not the typical empanada shape. Can anyone help?
Calling Margi to the Rescue! Where are you Margi. If anyone can help with this request, it is our Margi. If you give her the neighborhood, she can probably tell you the name of the place where you bought it. She is not only extremely generous with her recipes, but also the history behind the food and the locale.

Yoohoo, Margi! Where are you?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Spanish Pastry Filling

Oh, Addie, thanks for the acknowledgement - Okay, it was a pasteleria around the Dr. Fleming/Juan Ramon Jimenez area, but it was a very long time ago (1960s-70s). I've just recently started ordering the boquerones in olive oil and vinagre that they sold in the supermercado downstairs from our apartment. (Yum.)
Old 08-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Patsa, Bienvenidos,

Welcome to D.C. firstly.

2ndly, it sounds as if you are referring to Empanada Gallega con Atún ... ( post 24 on this thread has foto of this pastry ) ... Is this the one ? It is the most famous and can be made with lacón, smoked ham too ...

Currants and Pinenuts are not usual however, in Galician cuisine. Pinenuts and currants are more Moorish as the Moors were veered towards fruit and nuts combined in pastries and with meats or fish or poultry, and thus, it can be a Catalan or Mallorquin pastry.

I know the Cuzco and Santiago Bernabeu neighborhoods quite well, and there are numerous bakeries there ... I would suggest:

a. Is a foto possible ( is it a huge rectangular pastry filled with tuna, and other seafood items, galician onion, garlic, bell peppers and it is seasoned with smoked paprika) ?

b. there is a bakery, still in business which had started during the 1950s and is well known by Expats, who had worked at the enormous Military Bases during the 50s, 60s and 70s ... It is still there, and owned by a man who is not an Expat, however, he is widely known by numerous expats ...

C. This is certainly the Cuzco neighborhood ...

d. we have a client and friend of many years, who has a restaurant on Juan Jiménez and the winemaker owner is also a rancher and owner of enormous cattle ranches in Brazil and my husband, The Vet, is his animal doctor and advisor in cattle research.

E. I shall peek about the Spanish google tool and see what I can find in Catalonia and Moorish influenced pastries ---

Kind regards.
Margaux Cintrano

Tags
pasta, pie, recipe

Thinking about making some pasta pie... I'm not exactly a master in pie-making, but I can get some eatable dish out of potatoes, eggs, parmigiano, spices + other vegetables. This morning, eating a slice of a pie I made yesterday, I was thinking about putting some pasta in. I think I'll try adding some pre-cooked short pasta like farfalle or fusilli (not the hollow, tubular ones), to the mix and see what happens. Any idea or advice? Thanks :smile: 3 stars 1 reviews