Thinking about making some pasta pie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luca Lazzari

Sous Chef
I'm not exactly a master in pie-making, but I can get some eatable dish out of potatoes, eggs, parmigiano, spices + other vegetables.
This morning, eating a slice of a pie I made yesterday, I was thinking about putting some pasta in.
I think I'll try adding some pre-cooked short pasta like farfalle or fusilli (not the hollow, tubular ones), to the mix and see what happens.

Any idea or advice?

This one doesn't have potatoes, but maybe it will give you some ideas:

Spaghetti Carbonara Pie
Spaghetti Carbonara Pie - Good Housekeeping

So many folks in this part of the country make something akin to that pie. Baking leftover pasta for dinner is a given here.

Of course there is also the every popular Frittata. You can put anything in that. I once made one for a bunch of company that had everything including the kitchen sink. Potatoes, red, green, yellow peppers, onions, mushrooms, diced ham, bacon, tomatoes, diced wax beans, broccoli, along with any other veggies I found in the produce department, and eggs. I had my 12" pan filled to the top. Started it on top of the stove and then placed it in the oven. Slid it out onto a pizza tray. Cut into wedges. :yum:

what about pastitsio ?

or chicken and spaghetti pie?

whatever you decide to bake remember to add two beaten egg whites in the pasta before you start assembling the pie so they will stay together when baked and served.

Thanks everybody!

I think I'll go for a fusilli carbonara pie, no potatoes, enclosed in a crispy puff pastry wrapping... Maybe I'll add some nutmeg to the mix.

Thanks again :)

Thanks Souvlaki, pastitsio looks like what we call timballo in Italy.
I like timballo, but here I would like to make a pie in which pasta is not the dominant ingredient, just floating firmly in the mix.
Maybe my brain is just collapsing due to hot weather and I'm chasing a non-existent bee :LOL:

A friend makes a pizza with spaghetti as the crust. I think she bakes the cooked pasta on the bottom of the pan, then adds toppings and bakes some more.

Some Suggestions From Margaux

Buonasera Luca,

Firstly, in the Ethnic Section, I posted two Savoury Pies, one of which is Provençal with onions & anchovies. Small Short Pasta could certainly be an added ingredient and the pastry is just wonderful and crisp.

The second is a savoury onion pie, however from Alsace and I believe from my Mom Eva or her Mom Margot.

Number 3, could be a lovely Calzone, filled with pasta and 4 cheeses !

A vegetable lasagne could be an interesting way to utilise Lasagne Sheets, with all types of seasonal veggies; broccoli, cavolo, cauliflower, carrot, onion, potato, garlic & green beans etcetra ...

Have lovely wkend,
Ciao, Margi.

Luca,

Have you ever heard of an Empanada Gallega ? This is a savoury tart, filled with tuna, tomato, onion, garlic, bell peppers, leek and small pasta of choice or even rice filled ...

It is delicious as the savoury pie is Crisp, and egg brushed with the white of an egg and baked.

If interested, I shall post it and post photo.

Kindest, Ciao.
Margaux

Buonasera Luca,

Firstly, in the Ethnic Section, I posted two Savoury Pies, one of which is Provençal ... The second is ... from Alsace ... Number 3, could be a lovely Calzone, filled with pasta and 4 cheeses !

Dalle alpi ai pirenei, as we say here! :)
(from the Alps to the Pyrenees)

Luca, Buonasera,
Do you have the dough recipe selected yet ?
Do you plan to make from scratch ?

No way, I'm too lazy... I want to do some experiments, so I'll use those beautiful ready pastry rolls. It's really difficult to unfold them, they're so sticky, but you spare a lot of time and they're usually decently good, for me.

Luca,
Have you ever heard of an Empanada Gallega ? This is a savoury tart, filled with tuna, tomato, onion, garlic, bell peppers, leek and small pasta of choice or even rice filled ...
It is delicious as the savoury pie is Crisp, and egg brushed with the white of an egg and baked.
If interested, I shall post it and post photo.

Never! And yes, I'm interested, I LOVE leeks :pig:

Ciao carissima e grazie mille

Luca,

I shall post the Galician Empanada for you over wkend ... This is gorgeous ... and if you prefer, you can sub sausages, bell peps, and rice or pasta ... Very Versatile ...

Yes, I have a Photo or two of this that I have made in Madrid.

Kindest.
Ciao.
Margi.

Galician Savoury Pie - Empanada Gallega

Buon Giorno Luca,

Since the time of the Goths, this 7th century variety of empanada has been reflecting the coastal and interior traditions of the NW Galicians in the Iberian Peninsula.

Empanadas were typically Pilgrims and Shepherds fare, the pastry protecting the fillings.

In 1611, Francisco Martínez Motiño in the Arte de Cocina, Pastelería, Vizochería y Conservería featured his version using sardines, which is still very popular today.

Here is the recipe ... Photo to be posted this weekend ...

:chef: EMPANADA GALLEGA - GALICIAN SAVOURY PASTRY ...

dough ...

50 grams or 1 pound all purpose flour
1/2 cup olive oil ( 4 fl. oz. )
1/2 cup ( 125 ml. ) whole milk
salt to taste

filling 1 ...

3 fl. oz or 90 ml. olive oil
2 large onions ( I use Galician sweet ) peeled and chopped finely
3 leeks finely chopped
1 kilo fresh de-seeded, peeled and finely chopped fresh ripe red tomatoes
500 grams of Tuna packed in Olive Oil
1 egg: beaten for brushing the pastry dough
3 large red bell peppers finely chopped
2 large green bell or 4 Italian horn shaped peppers finely chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
black olives sliced and depitted
capers ( a few )
freshly black and green and rose peppercorns grinded
pinch oregano
1 tblsp. basil finely chopped
1 tablsp. parsley finely chopped
1 tblsp. finely chopped thyme or dried 1 tsp.
*** tiny pasta of choice

1. preheat oven 220 degrees centig or 425 farenheit degrees ( GAS 7 )
2. Mix flour, oil and milk and a pinch of salt together thoroughly
3. transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead to form a smooth dough
4. wrap in a clean kitchen cloth and place in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour
5. while the dough is resting, prepare filling
6. heat oil in large skillet and sauté the onion, bell peppers and leeks for 10 mins. until tender firm
7. add the tomatoes and cook 10 mins. and then, the olives and capers
8. take the dough out of refrig. and divide it in two pieces
9. roll out the large piece on a floured surface to a thickness of 1/2 inch or 1.5 cm. to fit a large baking sheet and spread the filling, and then the tuna on top spread over the veggies.
10. roll out other half of dough and then lay it on top of the pie, and press edges together to make a crust. This is usually prepared in rectangle. Brush the corners and sides with the beaten egg to prevent filling from oozing out.
11. prick the centre of the pie, then brush all over with egg and transfer to oven
12. bake for 15 mins. and then turn heat down to 200 degrees centig or 400 farenheit ( Gas 6 ) and bake for 30 minutes longer.

SERVE WITH A PROSECCO DOC SPARKLING WHITE WINE AND A GREEN SALAD ...

*** I have two others; one is a sausage and ham filled one and one is a chicken, leeks and mushrooms one ... These all can have some cooked al dente tiny pasta or rice inside if you wish ...

SEMPRE,
CIAO,
MARGAUX. :yum:

Buon Giorno Luca,

Since the time of the Goths, this 7th century variety of empanada has been reflecting the coastal and interior traditions of the NW Galicians in the Iberian Peninsula.

Empanadas were typically Pilgrims and Shepherds fare, the pastry protecting the fillings.

In 1611, Francisco Martínez Motiño in the Arte de Cocina, Pastelería, Vizochería y Conservería featured his version using sardines, which is still very popular today.

Here is the recipe ... Photo to be posted this weekend ...

:chef: EMPANADA GALLEGA - GALICIAN SAVOURY PASTRY ...

dough ...

50 grams or 1 pound all purpose flour
1/2 cup olive oil ( 4 fl. oz. )
1/2 cup ( 125 ml. ) whole milk
salt to taste

filling 1 ...

3 fl. oz or 90 ml. olive oil
2 large onions ( I use Galician sweet ) peeled and chopped finely
3 leeks finely chopped
1 kilo fresh de-seeded, peeled and finely chopped fresh ripe red tomatoes
500 grams of Tuna packed in Olive Oil
1 egg: beaten for brushing the pastry dough
3 large red bell peppers finely chopped
2 large green bell or 4 Italian horn shaped peppers finely chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
black olives sliced and depitted
capers ( a few )
freshly black and green and rose peppercorns grinded
pinch oregano
1 tblsp. basil finely chopped
1 tablsp. parsley finely chopped
1 tblsp. finely chopped thyme or dried 1 tsp.
*** tiny pasta of choice

1. preheat oven 220 degrees centig or 425 farenheit degrees ( GAS 7 )
2. Mix flour, oil and milk and a pinch of salt together thoroughly
3. transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead to form a smooth dough
4. wrap in a clean kitchen cloth and place in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour
5. while the dough is resting, prepare filling
6. heat oil in large skillet and sauté the onion, bell peppers and leeks for 10 mins. until tender firm
7. add the tomatoes and cook 10 mins. and then, the olives and capers
8. take the dough out of refrig. and divide it in two pieces
9. roll out the large piece on a floured surface to a thickness of 1/2 inch or 1.5 cm. to fit a large baking sheet and spread the filling, and then the tuna on top spread over the veggies.
10. roll out other half of dough and then lay it on top of the pie, and press edges together to make a crust. This is usually prepared in rectangle. Brush the corners and sides with the beaten egg to prevent filling from oozing out.
11. prick the centre of the pie, then brush all over with egg and transfer to oven
12. bake for 15 mins. and then turn heat down to 200 degrees centig or 400 farenheit ( Gas 6 ) and bake for 30 minutes longer.

SERVE WITH A PROSECCO DOC SPARKLING WHITE WINE AND A GREEN SALAD ...

*** I have two others; one is a sausage and ham filled one and one is a chicken, leeks and mushrooms one ... These all can have some cooked al dente tiny pasta or rice inside if you wish ...

SEMPRE,
CIAO,
MARGAUX. :yum:
500 grams?
Serves 4?

Buon Giorno Luca,

THANK YOU, GRAZIE! :flowers:

This morning I read that a olla de liebre recipe from Francisco Martínez Motiño (or Montiño) probably was the base on which Italian scalco (chief steward) Antonio Latini prepared an oglia alla Spagnola, similar to present cocido Madrileño, to please his master Don Stefano Carrillo Y Salcedo, the regent of Naples around 1670. And they didn't have the World Wide Web! :LOL:

PS This implies that old olla de liebre is somewhat similar to present cocido Madrileño. Let's open another thread about this :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom