Timed or tested pasta? How do you cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devora

Cook
How do y’all cook pasta? My DH is not a foodie, but he does cook a tad. I’m a bit more obsessive w/ technique. I never time my pasta; I test it as it cooks. I take it out when it’s done. My sweet DH reads the package and sets the timer and cooks it that long. Does anyone else do it his way?

(I bring this up b/c we have a package of vermicelli that says to cook for 7 minutes. Seven minutes! That seems way too long to me.)

I do it the way you do it devora, but the times on the packages are usually pretty close to accurate. If I were timing it I would probably start to check it a minute or so before the time on the box says and then every 30 seconds or so after that until it seems done.

Right, I use the time on the box as a guide, but it ends there. If I'm cooking bow tie and it says 15 mins, I know it's gonna be a longer haul than the 4 mins for angel hair. I'm so curious if others just follow the box time!

I set a timer to the time on the box then check the texture then. Otherwise, I lose track of time and who knows what will happen.

i was always a perpetual tester; my wife was always a strict timer.

we've both learned to do pretty much what andy suggested. the timer helps as a reminder, but it still needs to be tested.

Timer/test here, too. I set the timer for less than the box says and test from there on in.

I normally just test it. If pasta is on, I am never to far away, or am just working on another burner so it is no biggie to just check the pasta. Use a timer if I am doing nothing else though.

I cook it to taste, but I set the stove's timer for 10 minutes, just to remind me to check it, in case I get involved in something else.

I grew up pulling a couple pieces out of the boiling water, dropping them onto a plate for a few seconds to cool...and then tasting it. I have to agree that 7 minutes for vermicelli is a bit long...but some people like it really soft..

I set a timer as a reminder but I cook to taste. Depending on what I'm cooking depends on what I set the timer to. Angel Hair would be set for 3 minutes, macaroni for 5 minutes, etc. I find that most times listed on boxes produce a product past where I like it.

I test it and never time it as well. I’m always right there close at hand working on something else, so I just watch it and test it as it cooks.

I use, but don't depend on, a timer - set early. That way if I get distracted by sauce (or kids, phone, fire alarm) I get reminded.

the times are on the box? :huh: usually I keep a look at the clock and test it every so often until it's done.

Buy Barilla products. I think they're specially formulated to always come out al dente, no matter how long you cook it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom