Tips on Spaetzle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, the batter (or I guess we should form a new term, bat-ough or datter) from my recipe looks like your picture. Sliding the box back and forth on the grates of the type Andy, GG and we have creates the pressure that your scraper does and forces the mixture thru. It's 2 different methods of obtaining the same results, although I'd say yours probably is easier to clean since it doesn't have to be taken apart and the batter cleaned out of the corners and tracks of ours.

Thanks for the explanation MT, as I was having a hard time understanding how it could possibly work well with a thicker "datter"..lol, I like that term.
Another advantage to mine is it somewhat protects you from all the steam of the boiling water. I gave a review of it on Amazon and said the design could be improved however by adding a handle or a nob to the device. Other than that, I love it. I use an oven glove when using it.

My spaetzle maker disassembles easily. The bin just slides right off the base. Both parts go into the DW. I like Kayelle's also. I chose mine solely on the basis of price as I don't use it very much. I think I paid about $3.00-$4.00 for it at a kitchen outlet store.

They both get the job done.

I agree Andy that mine was expensive for a tool to be used infrequently. I'm usually dead set against buying something costly to be used for just one purpose. I guess I could use it as a steamer for something.

I agree Andy that mine was expensive for a tool to be used infrequently. I'm usually dead set against buying something costly to be used for just one purpose. I guess I could use it as a steamer for something.

I bought mine on a whim. Saw it in the store and remembered seeing it used on TV. I thought, "What the heck, it's only $3!" so I bought it. Then I went on a search for what to serve spaetzle with.

If this was a dish I made regularly, I'd get one like yours.

Another advantage to mine is it somewhat protects you from all the steam of the boiling water. I gave a review of it on Amazon and said the design could be improved however by adding a handle or a nob to the device. Other than that, I love it. I use an oven glove when using it.

Ask and you shall receive when you're married to the best (and dearest) Sous Chef in the world. Now my Spaetzle marker is perfect. :clap:

img_1402462_0_e53e6d703265595d7c46393a5fda30b5.jpg

ah, the Spaete-Ass is imho the best tool for the job.

had many many multiple hobs / etc - found two doohickies that actually work:
the Profi Spaetzle-Ass and the Cruisi-Pro ricer, using biggest hole plate.
the ricer is a PITA as it doesn't hold much volume and cleanup is not all that easy.

I'm a bit of a purist - so my spaetzle is ueber simple:

one cup / 236 ml / 235 g of luke warm/room temp water into which I break/stir
3 (USDA large) eggs
350 grams AP flour
fat pinch of salt

nutmeg is traditional, but DW doesn't care for it in spaetzle, so none added.

that's it, that's all - it's a hardier version.

the "format" itself has two main distinctions - angel hair thin size 'strands' - aka Schwarzwald / Black Forest style
or Bavarian - 'cheese doodle' style - which is what we prefer.

I started with the knife and board, too, many moons ago ;D
Now I have a "Nudelfee" and it works great with it, even though the Spaetzle are more "Knoepfle"

I started with the knife and board, too, many moons ago ;D
Now I have a "Nudelfee" and it works great with it, even though the Spaetzle are more "Knoepfle"

That's a really interesting gadget Cara! I had to Google it, and couldn't find anything in English but this youtube says it all. Very cool tool, although it looks unavailable here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrxCuRw19TQ

That is a really interesting press. Since it is hand cranked, no worries about power differences.

That's a really interesting gadget Cara! I had to Google it, and couldn't find anything in English but this youtube says it all. Very cool tool, although it looks unavailable here.

I think I'd press the noodles onto a plate rather than directly into the boiling water. The cranking process is a little slow. The noodles wouldn't cook evenly.

I've used my ricer...it works for the number of times I think to make Spaetzle. I probably make gnocchi more frequently. Was thinking of having the DH fabricating one of those "plates" for me. It looks as if it has a recessed part in the center...that way I can get it to fit over the pot I would use...if s/one would care to post the dimensions <g>. Or maybe I'll stick with my ricer...

It measures 10 1/2" without the handles. I think if you had one of these, you would make spaetzle more often. Before this, I used a pie pan with drilled holes. I used my ricer once and it was way too messy.

img_1405626_0_dc0effb11b4fe6b10e1f73c98ce2cf50.jpg

... Was thinking of having the DH fabricating one of those "plates" for me. It looks as if it has a recessed part in the center......

I was thinking that it resembles a pizza pan to me.
In fact I had that same thought
(though I don't allow DH anywhere something sharp,
he's been known to lose digits :LOL: and I'm not kidding here)
of taking a cheap-o-dollar-store pizza pan to experiment with.

Back
Top Bottom