Tips on Spaetzle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I posted this on last night's dinner thread but I thought it would be useful in the pasta forum so it doesn't get lost. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
I'll be glad to post everything I've learned about Spaetzle tomorrow Kgirl.
I'm so happy about it turning out better than it ever has for me tonight.

OK kgirl and GG.....this is my new equipment.
Amazon.com: Kuchenprofi Spaetzle Lid & Scraper in 18/10 Stainless Steel: Pasta Makers: Home & Kitchen

Yes, it's slightly expensive but I've fooled around with makeshift and inferior equipment long enough. The next best thing to this that I've used is a metal pie pan drilled with holes. This however, fits on the top of my large pot of boiling water and the included scraper is perfect.

I've also learned that it's better to make your Spaetzle early in the day, or even the day before making the main dish. That way, only the last step of browning it in butter remains to be done at the last minute.

I've also learned that following this superior recipe and method exactly, has given me the best results ever!

Spaetzle Recipe by Wolfgang Puck

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who enjoys making and eating Spatzle? :yum:

Kayelle, I've been using the same recipe for years. My spaetzle maker is a little different.

Thanks, Kayelle! I bought this one a year or so ago, but my batter was too runny and it blew apart in the boiling water. I like the pot lid design, but since I already have this one, I'd like to try it again. Have you or Andy used it before? Also, can you describe what the consistency of the batter should be?

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3128-Spaetzle-Maker/dp/B00004UE89

Last edited:
Thanks, Kayelle! I bought this one a year or so ago, but my batter was too runny and it blew apart in the boiling water. I like the pot lid design, but since I already have this one, I'd like to try it again. Have you or Andy used it before? Also, can you describe what the consistency of the batter should be?

GG, that's the one I use too. The recipe Kayelle linked works with your spaetzle maker. The batter has to be just thin enough to flow through the holes on it's own.

Kayelle, I've been using the same recipe for years. My spaetzle maker is a little different.

Actually it's thanks to you Andy that I became aware of this WP recipe. It was at the bottom of the Hungarian Goulash recipe of his that you recently posted. It's truly a superior recipe and just as important as the precise method. :chef:Wolfgang Puck certainly should know how to make Spaetzle properly. ;)

I posted mistakenly in the dinner thread... didn't see this thread.
@Kayelle and @Andy m, do you guys the recipe to the letter?
By that my mean, 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg seems like alot to me.
Also, do you both use peanut oil? Not an oil that I keep on hand, I have Canola and Olive oil.
I seem to remember my greatgrandma using melted butter and browning it almost as she heated it back up again before serving, with a sprinkle of was it parsley? I should ask my Mom again.

Also, do you both use peanut oil? Not an oil that I keep on hand, I have Canola and Olive oil.
I seem to remember my greatgrandma using melted butter and browning it almost as she heated it back up again before serving, with a sprinkle of was it parsley? I should ask my Mom again.

Kgirl, usually I'm the world's worst at following a recipe exactly, but I did just that this time. I've had so many near misses with Spaetzle that I chose to put my complete faith in every single word. I'm glad I did, and that it turned out so perfectly.
No, it was not too much nutmeg, and I did use peanut oil. I'm surprised you don't have peanut oil as it's used a lot in Asian cooking.

Be sure to read and follow the method carefully...it's well worth it.

I tend to follow a recipe unless it turns out poorly or I want to change an ingredient I don't like. I use peanut oil because I have it.

Hmmm, Okay then, we need to try this, with the 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated Nutmeg and I will get some Peanut oil.
And yes, alot of 'asian cooking' does use peanut oil or any other 'neutral oil' really. In Hawaii, you didn't see that too much, mostly because it was so much more expensive than canola oil.

Amazon.com: Norpro Spaetzle Maker: Graters: Kitchen & Dining

We have one very similar to that. I haven't tried WP's recipe yet but have printed it off and probably will the next time I make as it looks good. However, the recipe I've always used makes a very, very thick batter. It probably would drop thru the holes by itself eventually but you'd be waiting a while.

The recipe I've always used does NOT have nutmeg in the batter but the browned butter is flavored with fresh sage. I didn't like the crispy, almost burned texture of the sage after the butter browned if all of it is put in at once so used 2 batches of sage, the first started with the butter until it was just very, very slightly turning brown, then off heat, pick out the current sage and replace with fresh. Obviously, you don't want to chop up the first batch too much because you'll be standing there picking forever if you do.

Oh, I don't let it come to a rolling boil either, just kind of a moderate boil. Could that be why they blew apart?

Last edited:
If the recipe from WP is followed exactly, it produces a thick batter that looks just like this. In my opinion, it shouldn't be so thin it will fall through the holes without pressure. That's the reason I didn't buy the other pictured Spaetzle makers. I agree the water should not be at a full blown hard boil.

img_1402287_0_dc0effb11b4fe6b10e1f73c98ce2cf50.jpg

It's been a while since I tried it, so I don't remember how hard the water was boiling. Thanks for the tips :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Discuss Cooking mobile app

All excellent tips
I will ask Santa to bring me this from my Amazona wish list
and then try WP's recipe (I saved that to my folder)

To be honest Kgirl, my new pictured tool is a step up from my old homemade "drilled holes pie pan" with a makeshift scraper. It worked "ok" but too small to fit over a large pot of boiling water.

I've seen this one at the kitchen store in the outlet mall
My SIL had one similar to it, and her batter is a bit on the thin side,
she's Germany and I'm Danish (not a big difference, the town that my greatgrandfather is from is now part of Germany), so that could be the difference as to how she makes her spaetzle, she even pronounces it differently.

I've seen this one at the kitchen store in the outlet mall
Amazon.com: Norpro Spaetzle Maker: Graters: Kitchen & Dining
My SIL had one similar to it, and her batter is a bit on the thin side,
she's Germany and I'm Danish (not a big difference, the town that my greatgrandfather is from is now part of Germany), so that could be the difference as to how she makes her spaetzle, she even pronounces it differently.

Yes, that's the same style that Andy, GG and MT have. I looked for a long time for one that would be useful for a thicker batter, and thus a more substantial noodle.

Yes, that's the same style that Andy, GG and MT have. I looked for a long time for one that would be useful for a thicker batter, and thus a more substantial noodle.

Actually, the batter (or I guess we should form a new term, bat-ough or datter) from my recipe looks like your picture. Sliding the box back and forth on the grates of the type Andy, GG and we have creates the pressure that your scraper does and forces the mixture thru. It's 2 different methods of obtaining the same results, although I'd say yours probably is easier to clean since it doesn't have to be taken apart and the batter cleaned out of the corners and tracks of ours.

Exactly my thoughts Kayelle.
My SIL spattzle was kinda on the skimpy side, whereas as gg-ma's
had 'tooth' to it.
DH is not the biggest fan of German foods, but he's only had SIL's
food, not mine. (maybe `cuz I haven't cooked much of it :rolleyes:)

Oh, you guys. Now I have to make spaetzle for dinner tonight. I usually just simmer it in homemade chicken stock, kind of like chicken and dumplings. A wonderful comfort food.

Back
Top Bottom