"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
you must have a winning recipe for Risotto alla Milanese, don't you? I can make a nice one but I would love to see an authentic recipe from an authentic Milanese!!
Every your desire is a command for meÖ.
Only, I donít post the "true" recipe of risotto alla milanese, because itís practically impossible to do: officially, you would have to do a broth with seven (?) kinds of meatÖ.
For four persons:
Fry slightly in 40 gr. butter (not oil) an onion sliced very thin and about 100-150 grams of marrow. The onion must become transparent, not brown. In the same time, put 350 gr rice , and toast them for a couple of minutes, revolving it very often. After this, pour a glass of good white wine, and let it quickly evaporate.
A part, you had prepared a couple litres of meat broth (with cubes is ok). Now, you must add broth as soon as necessary, till rice is just covered, adding it many times in the same way till rice is well cooked (about 20 minutes).
Just at the last moment, add a couple of spoons of broth, if necessary, and (I donít know the quantities you can find) one envelope of saffron every two persons. Switch off the fire.
Out of fire, add about 30 grams butter, mixing it. Be careful: the rice must remain, we say, "allíonda", like a wave, i.e. fluent, not dried.
Officially, you have to serve it with grated parmesan a part on the dish, and take a portion of rice on the fork, putting the point of fork on the cheese, so you can taste both flavours and tastes separately.
Donít worry, it is good even if you mix themÖ.
The best and more traditional dish to serve together is "marrowbones". Iíll put the recipe in a second time if you are interested in. Itís a dish you find only in Lombardia region, near Milano.
The difference between Risotto "alla milanese" and other recipes is in toasting. In other traditions, rice is not toasted: this process causes the rice skin to break, and allow it to absorb the condiments and flavours.
A little curiosity, if you likeÖ.Do you know why saffron has had so a big fortune, in the same way of paned food?
Since about 1300, in Italy there was the use to add thin gold leaves on the food (many international chefs do the same just now). Of course, for meals served for nobles and very rich people. Poor people were not able to have it on the table, so they tried to imitate the yellow of the gold with other materials. Saffron and paning.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
GNAM!!!!
Thanks Rob, I knew I could count on you with this one!! I heard about using the marrow somewhere on this recipe but I wasn't sure what to do with that... I have to ask Cris where I can get it...is it readily available from regular macelleria??
We were not aware of the proper technique re: parimigiano... we just pour it all over! We are going to try it this way the next time!!
And Grazie for the historical trivia!! I didn't know that one either!!

Old 03-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Sure you can. Marrow is taken off from the marrowbones, that are part of the leg. Normally it's put off, beacuse nobody eats the bones.You only have to tell it to your butcher(?) macelleria. The legs are the part for the dish I was speaking of.
Oh, before someone of you could have some doubt....
They have no common points with the fact of madcow: they are not spinal marrow....
Old 03-04-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG
Oh, before someone of you could have some doubt....
They have no common points with the fact of madcow: they are not spinal marrow....
That's good to know... that concern sort of crossed my mind, too... thanks for the clarification!!

Sei troppo forte!!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Another secret to good risotto is to use a very wide pan for the cooking.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Also stir often to avoid having the rice sticking to the bottom... if you are making a larger amount the pot with automatic stirring gadget comes in handy...

The reason you add the broth in small amounts repeatedly is to attain the effect of having each morsel of rice covered with flavour and rich texture. This is not quite possible if the whole amount of liquid is poured all at once, covered and simply steamed.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

automatic stirrer? sounds cool, leave it to the italians.

thanks for the recipe and tips rdg. i like the idea of the rice splitting a little to absorb flavors.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
automatic stirrer? sounds cool, leave it to the italians..
You have never seen them?
We have one of those, it is a large pot with removable electric gadget attached, with a metal handle positioned just slightly off the bottom that will keep on rotating slowly while the food is cooking. We don't use it very often as usually it's just two of us, and if the amount is that little, it is more efficient to stir manually with wooden spoon though... but when we cook for guests and there are other things to do apart from standing over the stove, it comes in very handy!!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm gonna have to check them out urm, thanks.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
Executive Chef

This is the image of our pot, Bucky, if this helps anything for your search... I am not sure how it is formally called in English!!

Tags
None