TNT Basmati rice in the microwave!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MexicoKaren

Head Chef
Tonight, my good friend Laury shared some wonderful chicken curry with us. I needed to make some rice to go with it, and I am often disappointed in the rice I make on my gas range - can't seem to get the flame low enough to cook it without a brown crust on the bottom. Laury told me she had made some in the microwave, and even gave me instructions (which I forgot, so I googled it.) Here's how I did it: use twice as much water as rice. Rinse the rice as you normally would and put it in a glass (microwave safe) bowl in the microwave. Be sure to use a big enough bowl to allow for the rice to expand. Add salt and water. Let it cook -uncovered - for 15 minutes. Then add a knob of butter (your call) and cover it with a plate and cook for 5 more minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes, and it's done. I know it doesn't take less time, but it turns out wonderful rice. Try it! You'll like it!

I would never have thought of the microwave and rice MexicoKaren. Thanks. I'm having a terrible time adjusting from my electric stove to my daughter's gas stove. I always thought I would like gas much more but..... I just can't get heat low enough for a "mild simmer" and things like that. Any ideas without constantly moving the pot off the flame?

I do love the gas range for ordinary cooking, especially sauteeing, but I have a ceiling fan going constantly in my kitchen area, so getting the flame low enough without it going out is a challenge. I find that if I use one of the back burners and shield it with another pan on the front, I can get it low enough for a mild simmer. It does take some getting used to...another method I've adopted for "simmering" is to finish a dish in the oven, especially a stew. I think I get better results, probably because the heat surrounds the whole pot, instead of just coming from the bottom. Good luck with your stove!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom