"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
This is making my house smell great. It's one of our favorites:

Coconut Red Lentils

1 1/2 c red lentils
1 can coconut milk
1 can of tomatoes (fire roasted or Rotel style are what I use, during the summer I use fresh and cook them along with the onions)
2 c vegetable or chicken stock
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red chili, chopped (I like to use a jalapeno for warmth + a Fresno for color)
2 T oil
1 t tumeric
mint leaves (or cilantro, which I prefer)
salt & pepper

Heat your dutch oven over med heat. Add oil and then saute onions, garlic and peppers until they're soft and tanslucent. Add the tumeric powder and cook another minute.

Add lentils, tomatoes, coconut milk, stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until the lentils break down and become creamy.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

It's great over brown rice. Or white. Or alone! =P
This sounds DELICIOUS. I can almost taste it already!

Tags
coconut, lentils, recipe

TNT: Coconut Red Lentils This is making my house smell great. It's one of our favorites: [B]Coconut Red Lentils[/B] 1 1/2 c red lentils 1 can coconut milk 1 can of tomatoes (fire roasted or Rotel style are what I use, during the summer I use fresh and cook them along with the onions) 2 c vegetable or chicken stock 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 onion, finely chopped 1 red chili, chopped (I like to use a jalapeno for warmth + a Fresno for color) 2 T oil 1 t tumeric mint leaves (or cilantro, which I prefer) salt & pepper Heat your dutch oven over med heat. Add oil and then saute onions, garlic and peppers until they're soft and tanslucent. Add the tumeric powder and cook another minute. Add lentils, tomatoes, coconut milk, stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until the lentils break down and become creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. It's great over brown rice. Or white. Or alone! =P 3 stars 1 reviews