"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I find using leftover rice works best for fried rice.It dries out in the refer overnight.

I like your recipe!
Day-old rice is pretty much a requirement for fried rice. I've never seen a recipe for fried rice that didn't call for day-old cooked rice.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Day-old rice is pretty much a requirement for fried rice. I've never seen a recipe for fried rice that didn't call for day-old cooked rice.
As I said above, I always try to make my rice a day ahead, but I have found in a pinch my freezer method works very well.

.....just sayin'

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
As I said above, I always try to make my rice a day ahead, but I have found in a pinch my freezer method works very well.

.....just sayin'
But, you have freezers the size of Manitoba...!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

.....just sayin'
I didn't see your post before I posted. That's a great idea if you want fried rice and don't want to wait!

Is there much or any difference in the finished product if you use the freeze method?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

I use the freezer method every time, as I seldom have enough leftover rice for another meal the next day. I use just slightly less water than normal to assure a dry pot of rice and then pop it in the freezer on a sheet pan for a few minutes. As a matter of fact, I have everything prepped and ready to go for dinner tonight. I'm adding some slivers of carrot and some chopped green pepper to the rest of the items too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

No, I don't find much difference. Like Kayelle, I use slightly less water when making the rice and then put it on sheet pans. It just depends whether I plan ahead or not....otherwise the rice is exactly the same!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
No, I don't find much difference. Like Kayelle, I use slightly less water when making the rice and then put it on sheet pans. It just depends whether I plan ahead or not....otherwise the rice is exactly the same!
Just finished dinner LP, and it was sooooooo good. A great one pan meal, protein, starch and veggies........sure hit the spot tonight. Thanks again for the idea, it's been a long time since I've made it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

This is great!

The Chinese develop a recipe to use up leftover rice from yesterday and it's such a big hit so now the rest of the world develops a shortcut to create day old rice so they can make it at home without the wait!

The creative mind is a wonderful thing!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Just finished dinner LP, and it was sooooooo good. A great one pan meal, protein, starch and veggies........sure hit the spot tonight. Thanks again for the idea, it's been a long time since I've made it.
Glad it went well, Kayelle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is great!

The Chinese develop a recipe to use up leftover rice from yesterday and it's such a big hit so now the rest of the world develops a shortcut to create day old rice so they can make it at home without the wait!

The creative mind is a wonderful thing!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #20
Head Chef

TNT, LB! Solid recipe and good tips. Anyone who's tried to make fried rice with hot, wet, sticky freshly cooked rice and ended up with a congealed ball of goop will understand that dry, day old kernels are important. (I've used the sheet pan/freezer method, too, to dry out a freshly cooked batch.) My favorite is with shrimp, my go-to is with diced Chinese barbecue pork mysteriously dyed red, and my special treat is with sweet lap chong sausages cut on bias.

One of my personal secret tips for fried rice is: to finish, evaporate a couple drops of rice vinegar in the bottom of the wok/pan. The acidic touch will brighten/freshen this dish.

Tags
None