"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #11
Senior Cook

This sounds so delish, but I have a question for AndyM about the angel hair pasta.....after 25 mins of cooking, doesn't the pasta turn to liquid? (or at least, mush? or disappear?)

Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
This sounds so delish, but I have a question for AndyM about the angel hair pasta.....after 25 mins of cooking, doesn't the pasta turn to liquid? (or at least, mush? or disappear?)
I understand why you would ask that. We've all had mushy pasta at one time or another.

However, the pasta remains firm throughout. Maybe because it was browned in butter first. I sometimes brown egg noodles in the oven before cooking them in water and they have a firmer texture.

Regardless, pasta texture is not an issue. Try the recipe, you'll like it.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
There is a term al dente which means "to the bite." This is how you cook pasta. While it's cooked about enough you take a fork and get some pasta from the pot and run it under cold water so that you won't burn yourself, and you taste/chew it. When it is done just perfectly (to your bite) take it off the stove and run it through a strainer.

I've never seen any pasta take 25 minutes. About 18-20 minutes is typical.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks

There is a term al dente which means "to the bite." This is how you cook pasta. While it's cooked about enough you take a fork and get some pasta from the pot and run it under cold water so that you won't burn yourself, and you taste/chew it. When it is done just perfectly (to your bite) take it off the stove and run it through a strainer.

It depends on where you live (and the pasta). At high altitude it can take longer (I live at about 7000 feet above sea level. I went up in the mountains camping one time and it took forever for the pasta to get done.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
There is a term al dente
Around here usual cooking times are 8/13 minutes. I can't remember a pasta package with a printed cooking time longer than that.
But maybe I need to eat more fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
It depends on where you live (and the pasta). At high altitude it can take longer (I live at about 7000 feet above sea level. I went up in the mountains camping one time and it took forever for the pasta to get done.
Same happened to me. But I was at sea level, so it was my fault: my camp stove was so weak we couldn't even bring the water to boil...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Greg, Luca et al. We are not discussing boiling pasta. This is a rice dish which includes a little toasted pasta. When the rice dish is done, the pasta is not mushy. I don't know why. Perhaps because it's been, browned and cooked in butter before any boiling occurred.

Tags
butter, rice