Toasted Barley Flakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Has anyone found an awesome use for Toasted Barley Flakes? I accidentally bought a bag of these instead of rolled oats. This mornings breakfast was ... less than wonderful and I have a pound of this stuff to use up...

Has anyone found an awesome use for Toasted Barley Flakes? I accidentally bought a bag of these instead of rolled oats. This mornings breakfast was ... less than wonderful and I have a pound of this stuff to use up...

Crush them and put them in the bird feeder? :angel:

I suppose you could add them to soups (beef barley) and stews.
Also, try them in any recipes that call for oatmeal. How about barley raisin cookies.
Barley bread??

Crush them and put them in the bird feeder? :angel:
Just don't feed them to my horse, please.

Barley, which is normally good for horses or at worst is a bit rich and gives them skin bumps, turns him from a laid back, can't-be-bothered-being-spooky, you're-disturbing-my-nap kinda guy to a dangerous lunatic overnight! Long story but I ended up unconscious in an ambulance!

Last edited:
Just don't feed them to my horse, please.

Barley, which is normally good for horses or at worst is a bit rich and gives them skin bumps, turns him from a laid back, can't-be-bothered-being-spooky, you're-disturbing-my-nap kinda guy to a dangerous lunatic overnight! Long story but I ended up unconscious in an ambulance!
Yikes! Nope, no feeding your horse barley.

THESE RECIPES should keep you busy until the bag runs out.

I'm going to try the Barley Mushroom Pilaf. I like barley, but I only put it in vegetable soup a half cup at a time so a box of barley lasts me a very long time. My father loved barley and Campbell's used to make a barley soup called Scotch Broth that he ate regularly. I don't think they make it anymore. We were probably the only ones buying it and he passed away in 1957.

We were probably the only ones buying it and he passed away in 1957.

No - we were buying it as well and it was a lunchtime standard in cold weather. It is lamb based and I haven't seen it for years in stores.

I googled it and found that they sell it in Canada and the UK still, but not in the US. :(

No - we were buying it as well and it was a lunchtime standard in cold weather. It is lamb based and I haven't seen it for years in stores.

I googled it and found that they sell it in Canada and the UK still, but not in the US. :(
You aren't missing much. Campbells Scotch Broth isn't one of their better offerings.

Here's a recipe:-
Scotch broth: Recipes: Good Food Channel

We were probably the only ones buying it and he passed away in 1957.

Not the only ones. My first wife used to heat it and eat it straight out of the can, without diluting it.

Campbell's had a really good (for condensed soup) beef barley soup that I loved as a kid.

When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child and ate Campbells soup. But when I grew up, I put away childish things and switched to Progresso

Last edited:
I'm going to try the Barley Mushroom Pilaf. I like barley, but I only put it in vegetable soup a half cup at a time so a box of barley lasts me a very long time. My father loved barley and Campbell's used to make a barley soup called Scotch Broth that he ate regularly. I don't think they make it anymore. We were probably the only ones buying it and he passed away in 1957.

I love the Scotch Broth also. It has lamb in it. But it is priced way above any of their other soups. At least once a year I make lamb stew with barley. I use the shoulder chops as it is the cheapest lamb meat we have around here. I love the creaminess of the barley. :angel:

Not the only ones. My first wife used to heat it and eat it straight out of the can, without diluting it.

Campbell's had a really good (for condensed soup) beef barley soup that I loved as a kid.

When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child and ate Campbells soup. But when I grew up, I put away childish things and switched to Progresso
The first American recipe I ever came across was in the 1960s when I was in my early teens in an advert for Campbells condensed mushroom soup. It was tuna casserole - a can of tuna with just a can of the soup poured over it and heated up in the oven. It nearly put me off American food for life! It was quite a long time before I realised that Americans actually cooked food from scratch.:LOL:

To be fair to Campbells I keep the odd can of condensed tomato soup in the store cupboard because it's useful for the veg cottage pie that I make occasionally.

I have to ask. What is a "scrag of mutton neck"? I know what a mutton neck is, but never heard the word Scrag.
Usually called "scrag end of neck".

This shows you where it is on the sheep:-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/British_Lamb_Cuts.svg

It's cheap and fatty but tasty (I love lamb). I suppose you could use any cut of lamb. I tend to use "best end of neck" or "breast of lamb" for casseroling as it has a better ratio of meat to bone and is less fatty but "scrag end" is traditional for scotch broth. Poverty food I suspect.

Most sheep meat we get in the UK is lamb (ie young sheep up to 12months old) although mutton is coming back into fashion and is more easily available than in the recent past, probably with the growing interest in Middle Eastern cooking . Mutton needs very careful cooking or it will be tough.

Last edited:

I don't really like Progresso soup. I don't think it's worth the price. DH likes it though and I buy it for him. The only time I eat canned soups is when I'm sick.

Apparently, so many people felt the same way about the ScotchBroth as Mad Cook does and they quit selling it here.

I use the tomato soup over the potatoes with my meatloaf, and I use the mushroom soup for several recipes. My husband likes it with leftover turkey instead of gravy. He doesn't really like any gravy at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom