Tofu "Patties"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a restaurant near me that makes the most amazing tofu sandwiches, and they use these thing slabs of tofu. They're a little less than a cenimeter in thickness, and they're almost tough and chewy. I'm almost positive that they're baking them. Does anyone have a recipe or simply know the technique to bake tofu to get it to that consistency? Of course, the texture is only part of the equation, so a simple marinade for the "patties" would be great, too.

Thanks!

Also, I love the new look of the site!

Nothing, huh? I think what I'm looking for is a way to make something similar to the baked tofu Trader Joe's sells in those sealed packages for like $4. Does anyone know how to replicate that texture? Or how about any baked tofu recipe that makes a good sandwich?

I've tried it. I first placed the tofu between layers of paper towel, quite a few towel layers to soak up the moisture, laying something heavy on top, for 4 hours. Then marinate it in soy sauce and whatever other seasonings you like. Then slow baked it to dry it out again, even more. It had the consistency of a hard cheese and it was light brown in color. I hope that helps. ~Blissful

Goodness - you certainly don't need to bring it down to the consistency of hard cheese to enjoy it baked (unless you want to). Just carefully slice, marinate, & bake, broil, or grill. Like I said before - check out Eating Well's website. They have a lot of great info on doing this without turning it into hardtack - lol!

Here's one: Smokey Miso Tofu

I'm going to try to make corned 'beef' tofu this weekend. I'm going to brine a loaf of tofu in spices, then slice it thin and bake it. I'm guessing I'll bake it at 375 for half an hour or so, turning once.

Really, a marinade can be insanely simple, even some soy sauce and sherry can make tasty tofu.

I've tried it. I first placed the tofu between layers of paper towel, quite a few towel layers to soak up the moisture, laying something heavy on top, for 4 hours. Then marinate it in soy sauce and whatever other seasonings you like. Then slow baked it to dry it out again, even more. It had the consistency of a hard cheese and it was light brown in color. I hope that helps. ~Blissful

That's what I'm looking for. Do you weigh down the entire 1lb. block, or slice it first? How long do you marinade it? What do you use for the heavy thing? And how long and hot do you bake it?

I make tofu a couple times a week. I always drain it by placing it between two saucers, weight it with a can of beans and let it sit for 20 minutes. Don't slice it first or it will want to squish around. I also like to bake cubes of tofu in and use them as croutons in salad.

Back
Top Bottom