"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Okay. I must try them now. I know I pay over $3.00 a lb for non organic. I bet the organic ones are pricey?...
Yeah, they are usually about twice as much as the not-organic ones. But, I find the not-organic ones in winter to be so tasteless that they are a complete waste of money. I don't buy a lot of fresh, organic tomatoes in winter.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #22
Assistant Cook
Yes guys. I agree with you. I think that the fresh tomatoes are the best. But if they are bad, without flavor and color or too expensive, it's better buy canned tomatoes. I also use these. But depends because I live in Sardinia, then here there are always a very good tomatoes. Sometimes they are only too expensive.

moiki85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #23
Assistant Cook
Today I want give another tomato sauce recipe: tomato's sauce with aubergine.
For this recipe you need:
- one bottle of canned tomatoes;
- a aubergine
- one garlic clove
- some basil leaf
- salt.

First, let's wash the aubergine and cut it in more cubes (if you like better you can cut it in little strips).
Then, take a pan and put in the olive oil. Add the cutted aubergine and fry it .
When are ready, you can cook the tomato sauce as I already wrote here.
After, add the aubergine and cooked for few minutes (about 5 minutes).
This is the sauce that I cook more in the spring.

But I would if someone has already tasted my sauces's recipes
moiki85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #24
Executive Chef
The worst tomato in our garden is better than the best one at the store. Always, no matter the time of year.
No matter the type, if we care for them and allow them to ripen on the vine, they are all good all alone by themselves.

Now come late spring and summer, we can get great tomato's at the stands on every corner.

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

recipe, sauce, sauces, tomato, tomatoes

Tomato sauces Hi guys. I'm Italian and I want give you some sauces's recipes for pasta. Today I would post the tomato sauce. Before write the recipes about this sauce I point out that there are many recipes but it depends what you want to eat. For examples I like so much the sauce with the fresh tomatoes. My favorite sauce is this. Ingredients: - some tomatoes (it's ok all type but not those for salad) - one garlic clove - some basil leaf - salt. First, let's wash the tomatoes and cut them in more pieces. After, take a nonstick pan and put in it one spoon of olive oil (better if it's extra virgin). Press with a fork the garlic keeping his peel and put in the pan. Fry it at over low heat for few minute. Take out the garlic and put the tomatoes in the pan. Cooking all of it at over low heat for about fifteen minutes. In the same time add salt and the fresh basil cut with hands. When the tomatoes are a little bit reduced to a soft pulp (but not liquefied), the sauce is ready. If you want add a little bit of sugar (a quarter of teaspoon). This make the sauce less sour. This pasta is very good with some differents pasta types. Apart from classic spaghetti you can try this sauce with thin spaghetti (spaghettini), linguine and mezze penne. Naturally you have to cook the pasta "al dente", put it in the pan with the sauce then pan-fry for about three minute. Buon appetito 3 stars 1 reviews