"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Tomato sauces

Hi guys. I'm Italian and I want give you some sauces's recipes for pasta.

Today I would post the tomato sauce. Before write the recipes about this sauce I point out that there are many recipes but it depends what you want to eat.

For examples I like so much the sauce with the fresh tomatoes.

My favorite sauce is this.

Ingredients:

- some tomatoes (it's ok all type but not those for salad)
- one garlic clove
- some basil leaf
- salt.

First, let's wash the tomatoes and cut them in more pieces.
After, take a nonstick pan and put in it one spoon of olive oil (better if it's extra virgin).
Press with a fork the garlic keeping his peel and put in the pan. Fry it at over low heat for few minute. Take out the garlic and put the tomatoes in the pan.
Cooking all of it at over low heat for about fifteen minutes. In the same time add salt and the fresh basil cut with hands.
When the tomatoes are a little bit reduced to a soft pulp (but not liquefied), the sauce is ready.
If you want add a little bit of sugar (a quarter of teaspoon). This make the sauce less sour.

This pasta is very good with some differents pasta types. Apart from classic spaghetti you can try this sauce with thin spaghetti (spaghettini), linguine and mezze penne.
Naturally you have to cook the pasta "al dente", put it in the pan with the sauce then pan-fry for about three minute.
Buon appetito

Old 01-04-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Thanks Moiki. That sounds very fresh and delicious. I will try it, as I normally use canned tomatoes when I make that kind of pasta sauce. This sounds like a good basic sauce to which one could add all sorts of other ingredients such as olives, capers and artechokes. Yes?

http://lisaliaison.blogspot.com/
Lisa Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi Lisa and thank you so much.

This sauce is very good also with canned tomatoes (better those in pieces).

It's possibile add some differents ingredients.

For example if you prefer you can change the garlic with onion cutted very small.

About the ingredients you can add it there are much choices:

- olives (blacks or greens). You have to add them with tomatoes;
- olives and cappers. You have to add them with tomatoes. My advice is to use the penne like type of pasta;
- some pieces of hot pepper;
- mussels or clams. For that you have to wash very well the fresh mollusks. After, in a different pan, fry the garlic (with his peel or cutted in two pieces) and some pieces of hot pepper at over low heat for few minute. Finally you have to add the mollusks. Cook them as long as they are open. You can add the mussels or the clams in the sauce with their shell or not. It depend what you like better. Attention with hot pepper because if you use too much it the sauce is too spicy and you can't taste all others tastes.

It's possbile to cook this sauce with other differents ingredients like aubergines, fishes (cod, sardine or anchovy). But for that we have to use a recipe little bit different. I will post these soon.

About the artichokes there is a different use in Italy. We use them also for pasta sauce but without the tomatoes. I'll write soon the recipes of pasta sauces with vegetables.

If you have others questions for me, I'll happy to answer you. Let me say there is a real homemade cooking. I never studied cooking. I never worked as chef. I learned to cook from my mother and my grandmother too.

So enjoy to cook.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiki85 View Post
Let me say there is a real homemade cooking. I never studied cooking. I never worked as chef. I learned to cook from my mother and my grandmother too.

I, too, learned to cook at a young age by helping my father ( not my mother because she is a terrble cook) in the kitchen. I now use what he has taught me, along with my curiosity to try new things.

In the summer, I will have many fresh tomatoes to try this sauce, and add other vegetables as well. I dont eat meat, so Im sure many of your recipes will be good for me.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 01-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Executive Chef

One good thing is we are getting better tasting tomatoes when not in our own growing season. I was looking at some tomatoes at the store. They were dated, Dec 28, 30 and 31. I said Whaaaat. These are outdated. They looked and smelled fresh. Then I read the labels more closely. Those were the dates they were Harvested. and shipped to our store. I think they were from Costa Rica or somewhere else that has a current growing season. I have certainly picked my own garden tomatoes when they were really ripe or couldn't use right away and store for some days. I bought some and they taste quite good.

Right now, the smaller size tomatoes seem to have the best flavor.

Moiki, I too like a simple tomato sauce and pasta.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Executive Chef

The tomatoes in our markets no matter the type this time of year just plain suck.

I must confess, that I have never made a sauce with fresh tomatoes.
I use canned crushed, canned whole, and canned paste for my marinara.

I make the marinara buy the gallon and freeze it in small containers to make other dishes with.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Most commercially, mass produced tomatoes are horrible, no matter the time of year. I prefer canned tomatoes for making sauce or Sunday gravy.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Most commercially, mass produced tomatoes are horrible, no matter the time of year. I prefer canned tomatoes for making sauce or Sunday gravy.
Even those beautiful hot house types have no flavor and are not red inside, even though they look very good from the outside. They are off colored pink and not worth the price.
Winter is not good and bad tomatoes make it worse.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I've found that Roma tomatoes have some flavor in the off-season. The best option, though, is frozen tomatoes from last summer's crop.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I find that organic tomatoes usually have plenty of flavour, even in winter.

Tags
recipe, sauce, sauces, tomato, tomatoes

Tomato sauces Hi guys. I'm Italian and I want give you some sauces's recipes for pasta. Today I would post the tomato sauce. Before write the recipes about this sauce I point out that there are many recipes but it depends what you want to eat. For examples I like so much the sauce with the fresh tomatoes. My favorite sauce is this. Ingredients: - some tomatoes (it's ok all type but not those for salad) - one garlic clove - some basil leaf - salt. First, let's wash the tomatoes and cut them in more pieces. After, take a nonstick pan and put in it one spoon of olive oil (better if it's extra virgin). Press with a fork the garlic keeping his peel and put in the pan. Fry it at over low heat for few minute. Take out the garlic and put the tomatoes in the pan. Cooking all of it at over low heat for about fifteen minutes. In the same time add salt and the fresh basil cut with hands. When the tomatoes are a little bit reduced to a soft pulp (but not liquefied), the sauce is ready. If you want add a little bit of sugar (a quarter of teaspoon). This make the sauce less sour. This pasta is very good with some differents pasta types. Apart from classic spaghetti you can try this sauce with thin spaghetti (spaghettini), linguine and mezze penne. Naturally you have to cook the pasta "al dente", put it in the pan with the sauce then pan-fry for about three minute. Buon appetito 3 stars 1 reviews