"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

welcome, cindy.

in the future, besides "diluting" - for lack of a better term - the sauce with another sugarless one, cerise had good ideas. turn it into a sauce that welcomes sweetness, including meat, or maybe a pizza sauce.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I never put sugar in my sauce. I usually add about 1/2 - 1 tsp. cinnamon depending on how much sauce I am making.
Sometimes I add it, sometimes I don't. If I use a ready passata di pomodoro (tomato sauce) I taste it and decide what to do. Some of them are too sour for me, and in this case I add no more then half a teaspoon of sugar in 400 g (0.9 lbs) of tomato sauce.
But I admit I do it because I saw chefs doing it. I have to do some test, to see if my ability to detect food flavours let me REALLY tell the "sugared" tomato sauce from the "sugarless".

Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #23
Head Chef

When I make "red gravy" I add 1 Tbsp sugar to ajust the acid but also add 1 Tbsp cider vinegar to nutralize the sweetness.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
When I make "red gravy" I add 1 Tbsp sugar to ajust the acid but also add 1 Tbsp cider vinegar to nutralize the sweetness.
Interesting. You add sugar because there is too much acid then add more acid to kill the sweetness...

Why not just neutralize the acid directly. Add a tiny amount of baking soda and stir it in. It will act immediately. Mix thoroughly and taste. Repeat as needed.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Interesting. You add sugar because there is too much acid then add more acid to kill the sweetness...

Why not just neutralize the acid directly. Add a tiny amount of baking soda and stir it in. It will act immediately. Mix thoroughly and taste. Repeat as needed.
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I have often wondered that too. . .I just don't get it. A lot of the acid has been breed out of tomatoes. and if you have say, onion in there, sweat the onion down more, or lightly caramelize it for better depth, or sweetness. Even a little fine grated carrot, not enough to taste, but helps the edge if by chance the sauce is acidic.
I read an article a few years ago on the decreased acidity in tomatoes and the increase in sodium. This is, if I recall, a result of the hybridization and effort to produce tomatoes that have thicker skins and are more stable for shipping. If I recall, the sodium increase was as high as 200% and the acidity has been reduced so that when canning tomatoes one has to add lemon juice. I don't know if I can find the article, it might still be here at the farm.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I read an article a few years ago on the decreased acidity in tomatoes and the increase in sodium. This is, if I recall, a result of the hybridization and effort to produce tomatoes that have thicker skins and are more stable for shipping. If I recall, the sodium increase was as high as 200% and the acidity has been reduced so that when canning tomatoes one has to add lemon juice. I don't know if I can find the article, it might still be here at the farm.
This isn't really anything new. My 1975 edition of Joy of Cooking talks about reduced acidity in tomatoes and the need for lemon juice or citric acid when hot water bath canning tomatoes. Increase in sodium is a bummer.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
This isn't really anything new. My 1975 edition of Joy of Cooking talks about reduced acidity in tomatoes and the need for lemon juice or citric acid when hot water bath canning tomatoes. Increase in sodium is a bummer.
The article was about heirloom tomatoes and the hybrids one sees at nurseries, how to pick the tomato for your purposes, the pros and cons of each. And, mentioned the sodium/acid issue. Heirloom tomatoes supposedly have lower sodium and higher acid than hybrids.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The article was about heirloom tomatoes and the hybrids one sees at nurseries, how to pick the tomato for your purposes, the pros and cons of each. And, mentioned the sodium/acid issue. Heirloom tomatoes supposedly have lower sodium and higher acid than hybrids.
Makes sense that the heirlooms would be lower sodium and higher acid than the new-fangled tomatoes.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #30
Master Chef

I don't can, I roast then freeze to make my sauce. I've really never thought tomato sauce needs sugar, and don't like jars of sauce for that reason. I think I've read all the posts (sometimes I don't catch up to a site early enough and miss a page!), so am probably being repetitive and I know your problem is taken care of. But a dry red wine or inexpensive balsamic vinegar (the more expensive, highly aged ones are sweet) would help.

Tags
other, pasta, sugar