"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Too salty

I just made a really good Cannellini soup but it is way too salty as I used prepared ingredients with salt. What can I do to tone down the salt?

Old 09-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Master Chef

Could you add a little more liquid? It might help.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Cook

In soups you can add some raw potatos, they will absorb part of the salt when being cooked. Just take them out when done...

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad...
adnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Thanks, I'll try both.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Cook

Another thing that neutrilizes salt a bit is lemon juice, but only add a little bit at a time!

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad...
Old 09-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Everymom

As GB will tell you later, the potato thing is a myth, they don't actually absorb the salt. Since you are adding things to the soup, that is usually what changes the saltiness.

If you can just add more to your soup, (double the recipe excep the salt) that would likely do it. And that way you will have stuff to freeze.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

The potato addition to remove salt is basically an old wives' tale, but it seems to make enough people feel better and believe that it works. What Alix says--add more "stuff" with no salt. You might try a tad of sugar. Can't hurt and might help.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
As GB will tell you later, the potato thing is a myth, they don't actually absorb the salt. Since you are adding things to the soup, that is usually what changes the saltiness.
I don't think so, you are taking the potato out when it's done, so in the end you don't have more in there... If the potato doesn't absorb any salt then why do you cook them in sal****er and not just plain water?

edit: I thought salt-water is just one word, but it gets filtered Admin: you might want to add this to the 'save words list'

Old 09-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

adnan it will remove salt, but will not change the concentration of the salt, thus the soup will still taste as salty as it started. The potato does not selectivly remove salt. It just acts as a sponge soaking up some of the liquid, which contains some salt. Just as if you put a sponge in the soup, if you tasted the sponge after it would taste salty, but the soup would not taste any less salty.

Here is an excellent article that explains it much better than I ever could.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnan
I don't think so, you are taking the potato out when it's done, so in the end you don't have more in there... If the potato doesn't absorb any salt then why do you cook them in sal****er and not just plain water?
Adnan, I'm afraid Alix and GB are right. It is explained in 'What Einstein Told His Cook' by Robert Wolke. He conducted experiments and proved that adding potatoes don't reduce the salt concentration of the soup.

To your point regarding the potatoes becoming salty after boiling in salt water -- it just means that the potatoes do absorb salt water. Not that potatoes can selectively extract salt out of the water. Conclusion: The concentration of salt in the water would not be affected by the potatoes.

Tags
None