"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-27-2004, 04:18 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

True Salsa di Pomodoro

I was in America for the past 6 months learning to perfect my English. Cooking was my favourite pasttime in Italy, and attended many cooking schools in Italy and France. I have seen in America that people have butchered the true salsa di pomodoro, to the point of adding many un needed things. This is the recipe that has been in the Maruca family for 11 generations:

Salsa di Pomodoro:

enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan
2 - 3 cloves of garlic
2 kilos of tomatos
half-palm full of sugar

Fry the garlic in the oil until lightly darkened. Remove the stems from the tomatos, and crush with your hands into the pot. Once all of the tomatos are crushed into the pot, add the sugar, and salt. Let the pan sit for 5 minutes, then put back on the heat. If you crushed the tomatos well enough in the beginning, they will begin to break down. Regularly crush them with a spoon or the like. Season at the very end.

Sometimes my grandmother/mother would put half an onion in, just to soak. Or the occasional braciole in the sauce, to cook all day. Enjoy!

Old 08-27-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Everymom

Pazzo, thank you so much. My roma tomatoes are just about to be ready for cooking...I will try this. Yum. Grazia (sp?)

Tags
None