"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Senior Cook

To me dry pasta is pasta. Some brands are a little better than others. Don't go buy price. Some cheaper, off brands are very good. Like to add precooked defatted ground turkey or chicken or your choice.. 1/2 c of dry red wine,and any grated cheese,and season to your taste .I also prefer not to add sweet things to the sauce. Large Italian [style] chain restaurants are famous for there Precooked Frozen bag and Boil entres. . Chemists make the formula and it gets bagged in a factory.Then the ""Chef boils the water, and the C.E.O goes to ''Tuscany'' for vacation. Gape Jelly, really? I like Addies answer. Mysterychef

Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you mystery chef.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockey_f_squirrell View Post
I figure I would save space. I am sorry I am like a '50 questions child' so I will save some thread space and ask two since they both pertain to spaghetti.

What happens if I use Fettuccine in place of spaghetti noodles, but the sauces and meats are still the same as spaghetti?

(I got a hold of Fettuccine noodles and made a chicken/shrimp alfredo fettuccine, and it held the flavor very well, as opposed to using spaghetti noodles, cause we are low budget most of the time)

So will fettuchine noodles hold spaghetti flavor more well than spaghetti?

Also, I often take storebought sauces from a jar, and will add things to give it a fuller flavor. What can I do to spaghetti sauce to give it a more meaty flavor?

and on looking at some recipes for spaghetti sauces I see some include grape jelly (a Olive Garden clone recipe) what does the grape jelly do to it?

(Sorry, I think I snuck a 3rd question in there)

Please take this time to let me know for future use, does this save space, or complicate things more by asking multiple questions in one thread?
Hi, Rockey. There is no effective limit to space on the Internet, so no worries.

If you can grow a few fresh herbs, like basil and oregano, you can add tremendous flavor to pasta sauce for a small upfront investment. My first herb garden was in a couple of window boxes attached to the fire escape railing at our old apartment.

We like to add a pound of ground beef, a couple cloves of minced garlic and 1 chopped onion to jarred pasta sauce. Then a sprinkle of herbs and sometimes a grinding of hot pepper flakes. You can buy a cayenne pepper plant, then dry and grind the peppers to make your own.

Different pastas taste the same, but the different textures do change the experience of eating them. In general, chunkier sauces go better with short pastas, especially those with nooks and crannies to hold the chunks, and thinner sauces go better with long pastas. But it's all a matter of taste, not hard and fast rules. So try different combinations and see what your family enjoys. Have fun
Old 06-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
What happens if I use Fettuccine in place of spaghetti noodles, but the sauces and meats are still the same as spaghetti?
The pasta police will kick in your front door, put you in handcuffs, drag you out the door and stuff you in the back seat of their police car, embarrassing you and your entire family.

I put Pepsi in a Coke glass once. It cost me $5000.00 and 100 hours of community service.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
...What can I do to spaghetti sauce to give it a more meaty flavor?...
Cook some meat in a ss pan and use the jar sauce to deglaze the pan (lift off those brown bits), then simmer it a while. I used to make spaghetti like this all the time.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Its a basic food processor egg pasta that you add red pepper flakes to taste.

Pasta
1 C all purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes or to taste
2 large eggs
4 Tbsp water
More all purpose flour as need for bench flour

In food processor with metal blade, process flour and red pepper flakes until well blended. Add eggs and process for 5 seconds or until it looks like cornmeal. With processor running, add water down feed tube and process until a ball forms. Dough should be well blended but not sticky. If sticky add some all purpose flour while blending. If dough is too crumbly, add water while blending. You can go right to the pasta machine with this dough or if using a rolling pin, wrap it and let it rest for 20 minutes. Work with a 1/4 of the dough at a time. I usually take it to #5 setting on our machine. I cut the rolled sheet in 1/2" strips, lengthwise with a ravioli wheel cutter and add some flour to keep from sticking.

Bring large pot of water to boil, add salt, shake off excess flour and drop pasta until done.

My favorite sauce is olive oil with plenty of thinnly sliced, sauteed garlic. Drop in the pasta when done and drained. Fresh grated parm and thin basil strips when served.
I am going to make this for sure! I just love pepper flavor. This sounds just wonderful! I love your idea of serving it with the garlic infused olive oil and fresh parm cheese!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Grandma always said to add grape jelly to a sauce that you slightly scorch accidentally. She said that it pulls that burned taste right out.

Maybe Olive Garden burned their sauce?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I would say that the end product is better if you use fettuccine rather than spaghetti since I never buy packages of pasta labeled "spaghetti" . To get a meatier taste, add some meat. I usually have packs of frozen cooked seasoned hamburger in my freezer ready to be used in just such projects.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
I would say that the end product is better if you use fettuccine rather than spaghetti since I never buy packages of pasta labeled "spaghetti" . To get a meatier taste, add some meat. I usually have packs of frozen cooked seasoned hamburger in my freezer ready to be used in just such projects.

Why do you have an aversion to the spaghetti shape of pasta?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Its a basic food processor egg pasta that you add red pepper flakes to taste.

Pasta
1 C all purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes or to taste
2 large eggs
4 Tbsp water
More all purpose flour as need for bench flour

In food processor with metal blade, process flour and red pepper flakes until well blended. Add eggs and process for 5 seconds or until it looks like cornmeal. With processor running, add water down feed tube and process until a ball forms. Dough should be well blended but not sticky. If sticky add some all purpose flour while blending. If dough is too crumbly, add water while blending. You can go right to the pasta machine with this dough or if using a rolling pin, wrap it and let it rest for 20 minutes. Work with a 1/4 of the dough at a time. I usually take it to #5 setting on our machine. I cut the rolled sheet in 1/2" strips, lengthwise with a ravioli wheel cutter and add some flour to keep from sticking.

Bring large pot of water to boil, add salt, shake off excess flour and drop pasta until done.

My favorite sauce is olive oil with plenty of thinnly sliced, sauteed garlic. Drop in the pasta when done and drained. Fresh grated parm and thin basil strips when served.
Thank you so much. I plan to make this for the week end. my family is going to enjoy it.
kades

Tags
spaghetti