"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 02-28-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Veg. Masala Rice

: Method :
Wash rice drain in a colander for 10 minutes.
Carefully spread out on clean kitchen towel for 5-7 minutes.
Heat oil in wide frying pan, add cashews and peanuts.
Allow to roast lightly, add seeds, asafetida, allow to splutter.
Add curry leaves, coriander leaves, stir, add rice.
Stirfry very gently with spatula, for 3-4 minutes.
Take care not to break grains. Add all masala powders, salt, citric acid. Cool to room temperature, store in airtight container or drip-proof bag.

: To Cook :
Heat 2 & cups water in skillet, bring to a boil.
Add rice, stir gently occasionally.
Cover and simmer till rice is done.

: Variation : Add any available veggies if desired, like mixed frozen veggies, peas, etc.to make it even more delectable. : Making time :
prior time 25 minutes

: Time :
6-7 minutes

Edited by kitchenelf to say - - **please see Post #22 for ingredient list with amounts**

Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Senior Cook

This sounds and looks really good. A few questions though:
What type of rice? Can I use brown rice? How does that affect cook time?
What is asafetida? I don't know I'll be able to get that here, I will have to check around.
And what is generally in the Masala powders?
What seeds? Sesame seeds?

This really looks good and I would definitely like to try it. Any suggestions would be great!

Do you normally use this as a main dish or a side dish? If as a side dish, what do you use for the main dish? Thank you!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiprincess View Post
What is asafetida? I don't know I'll be able to get that here, I will have to check around.
It is Hing you usually have to get it from an Indian market. Warning I use it but it smells bad, store it outside.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Head Chef

vickie, that rice looks great!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Master Chef

No need to store asafoetida outside. Yes, it has a very pungent smell, but it comes in its own little airtight container. The only time I'm aware of its presence is when I open that container.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Huh? I'll have to find an Indian market nearby. This looks awesome, and I've been trying to incorporate more brown rice and other grains in our lives along with veggies, this would be perfect. I will be looking around!

What does it taste like? Hope it doesn't taste like it smells?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Master Chef

Lol! No, it doesn't taste the way it smells, but it's difficult to describe the taste since you add just a tiny amount which is then dispersed throughout the whole dish. I guess the best way to describe it would be that it adds a certain "depth" to a dish without making its own individuality known. I can only say that I do notice the difference in a recipe that calls for it when I've made the recipe both with & without it.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

its SPICY guys .. .n eat it hot .. will surely like it!
complete indian flavour!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Master Chef

Vickie - has anyone besides me just noticed that you don't give any ingredient AMOUNTS!!!!! Not for the rice, the veggies, seasonings - nothing. I'm kind of thinking that's pretty important for a recipe like this.

Please at least give ballpark ingredient amounts - especially for the seasonings. Asafoetida is only used in pinches. Someone may add more & completely ruin what looks like a wonderful dish. And think about it - "2-1/2 cups of water & then add rice"??? How much rice??

You need to rethink & amend this a little before it's usable.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Lol! No, it doesn't taste the way it smells, but it's difficult to describe the taste since you add just a tiny amount which is then dispersed throughout the whole dish. I guess the best way to describe it would be that it adds a certain "depth" to a dish without making its own individuality known. I can only say that I do notice the difference in a recipe that calls for it when I've made the recipe both with & without it.
good to know! Thank you. That does explain it very well. I think that's what entices me about Indian cuisine, is that there are a lot of layers of flavors. It will be a completely new way of cooking. I also found that All Recipes.com has a website for people from Australia, New Zealand and beyond. I signed up for it. A different variety than I've seen before.

I also started searching for some Indian markets in the area. I found a few that I'm going to try out. We'll see how my adventure goes!!

Tags
rice, veg. rice