Vegetarian - Sesame-Maple Roasted Tofu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I'm posting this recipe here because I can't think of anywhere where it's better suited. It's not "ethnic", it's not "vegetable", the "Miscellaneous" forum doesn't really carry any recipes, & there's no vegetarian forum (hint, hint :)). So here it goes - only because I served it over noodles.

Here's the original Eating Well magazine recipe link, followed by how I slightly changed it. It was absolutely delicious, & might even convert some tofu-haters - lol!!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sesame_maple_tofu.html

Sesame Maple Roasted Tofu (Adapted from Eating Well magazine)

Serves 2

Ingredients
1 12-ounce block extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium or half a large red onion, sliced & separated into rings
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
One ½-tablespoon cider vinegar
Approx. 2 cups sugar snap peas, fresh or frozen (I used frozen)
Approx. 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Cooked Asian-style noodles of your choice for serving

Sesame-Maple Roasted Tofu Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.

2. Toss tofu, onion, canola oil, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet, lightly sprayed with cooking spray, and roast until the tofu is lightly golden on top and the onions are browning in spots, 15 to 20 minutes, turning gently halfway through..

3. Meanwhile, in the same large bowl, whisk tahini, soy sauce, maple syrup, and vinegar until well combined. When tofu mixture is finished roasting, remove from the oven & add to the bowl of tahini-maple sauce, along with the sugar snap peas; stir to combine. Re-spread on baking sheet & sprinkle with sesame seeds. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the peas are crisp-tender, approx. 8 to 12 minutes more.

Serve on a bed of cooked Asian-style noodles of your choice. (I used 2 packages of fresh ramen-type noodles that I found in the tofu section of the supermarket. I cooked the packages along with the soup-seasoning mixes included with the noodles, & then drained them before serving them as a base for the tofu.)

Last edited:
Thanks so much. It sounds so good, I can't wait to try it. I love easy recipes that are healthy and pack in a punch of flavor. I am sure my 9 year old will love it. He loves Asian food and everything healthy.

I definitely think this is a good healthy "kid-friendly" recipe. It's not overly sweet, nor does it end up tasting "mapley" (if that's a word - lol). The maple syrup just lends a touch of sweetness that really compliments the sugar-snap peas without being cloying, & roasting the tofu makes it nice & firm texture-wise.

Thanks for the recipe. I'm always looking for new ways to cook tofu.

Is that tofu the vegetable? or tofu for the 'special' people? I agree completely with your hint. There needs to be a vegetarian forum.

Back
Top Bottom