Vietnamese Noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
(I made these last night and the only reason I call them "Vietnamese" Noodles is because of the cilantro and lime with the use of soy sauce. Amounts are an approximate as I did not measure. )

Sauce:
soy sauce (about 2/3 cup or a little more)
beef consommé (about 1/4 - 1/2 cup)
water - about 1/2 - 3/4 cup
chopped garlic - 1 large, chopped
Hoisin sauce – about 2-3 TBS.
touch of toasted sesame oil

fresh bean sprouts
grilled shrimp
London broil

Toss noodles in warmed liquid mixture in a skillet then add grilled shrimp and London broil just to heat them a bit. Remove to a large bowl and add bean sprouts just to warm a bit. Top noodles/shrimp/London broil with bean sprouts then top them with cilantro, spring onions, and serve with lime slices. I sliced the London broil very thin and then cut those strips in half (long way) again.

I marinated the shrimp in pretty much the same as above except the Hoisin sauce and beef consomme. Next time I will toss in olive oil before grilling to keep moist.

London broil was marinated with about the same except I added some teriyaki sauce and lots of dried garlic, rubbed in. I cooked London broil on grill for 7 minutes each side because it was thicker than normal. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting.

What kind of noodles?

Hello, this dish sounds tasty! I'm curious though, what type of noodles did you use? I.e. rice noodles, semolina, etc.? Thanx! Atomic Jed

That's a really good question! LOL I think it was a type of vermicelli - the man who owns the Asian market picked them out for me. They were long, sort of ribbony (but not like curly noodles) and they were a little flat and narrow. They were a solid noodle color, not clear like a rice noodle.

Kitchenelf, thank-you for your reply! If by chance you happen to see those noodles again, please let me know what they are called. I am interested in learning more about Asain noodles. Thanx again! Atomic-Jed

Back
Top Bottom