"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 12-08-2005, 03:48 PM   #11
Sous Chef
Are they like lentils? Enlighten me someone!I thought they were lentils .Let me know quinoa.Like to know you quinoa.Some poetry there!

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quinoa is a tiny morsel of grain, rather than legume like lentils. Tonight I toasted dry in a skillet before I steamed them, it really gave a wonderful aroma. It has kinda nutty texture and flavour, as I mentioned I believe they can be delicious in variety of ways, hot or chilled. Possibly be a tasty substitute for cous cous, rice, bulgur, or farro in many cases. Check out the link Constance posted above for detailed information, also this one...

(we have also seen amaranth that is also explained here, and were going to try it as well on the next opportunity!!)

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef
now you will need a quinoa pot...of Brazillian soapstone! yes of course I have one! heavy as cast iron, heats as fast as copper and cools as slowly as cast iron. a wonderful pot for stews, long cook grains, sauces etc... and soapstone makes an awesome pizza stone for your oven.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:04 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Our first Quinoa experience was sooo good now I was inspired to explore the wonder of this wonderful morsels. Thus yesterday I made a quinoa stir fry, this was another big winner!!

I toasted and steamed the quinoa, I used just 1 quinoa to 1,5 water, as the last time it was a bit too much on a wet side and had to "dry" a little for a few more minutes on the burner. Came out perfect!!

I sautčed some scallions, garlic, sesame seeds and mushrooms in evoo, seasoned with salt and our lebanese spice mix (coriander, clove, cardamom etc.), then tossed with our leftover steamed broccoli pieces and the precooked quinoa, blended and heated everything through...
It was so very delicious and easy to make... if you don't have an access to the lebanese spice, I believe it would also be good just with s & p, or some indian spices. Also I bet you can substitute or add other vegs like brussel sprouts, zucchini, bell peppers etc....

We are more and more in love with this quinoa, we used up most of the stock now, the next time we are going to try amaranth!!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:09 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Sounds fantastic Licia, I adore those "on the fly" recipes too! (Good call on the broccoli.) Thanks for sharing this one with us, fellow quinoa lover

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer
I don't have the recipe, but my mother makes jambalaya and uses quinoa instead of rice. It is a great change of pace. Quinoa is great stuff!
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Pistacio and grape studded quinoa salad

This is a great recipe for quinoa, the apple juice and ginger really help to eliminate the bitterness that quinoa can have. the grapes and pistacios give it some very interesting, contrasting texture.
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup apple juice
1 T. ginger, minced
2 cups quinoa, well rinsed
1 cup English cucumber, cut into quarters lengthwise, and thinly sliced
1 cup seedless red grapes, cut in half
1 cup seedless white grapes, cut in half
1 cup pistachios, shelled, and roughly chopped
1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
3 T. raspberry vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 T. apple juice or water
2 T. olive oil
2 T. toasted sesame oil
2 t. unbleached cane sugar (or white sugar from sugar beets)
1/2 t. sea salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
red-tipped lettuce leaves, for garnishing

In a medium saucepan, place the water, apple juice, and minced ginger, and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the quinoa, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain off any excess liquid, transfer the quinoa to a bowl, fluff with a fork, and set aside to cool completely. Add the cucumber, red and white grapes, pistachios, green onions, and parsley to the cooled quinoa, and toss lightly. In a small bowl, place the remaining ingredients (except the lettuce leaves), and whisk well to combine. Pour the dressing over the quinoa mixture and toss gently to combine. Cover, place in the refrigerator, and chill for 1 hour or more to allow the flavors to blend. Line a large bowl with the lettuce leaves. Gently toss the chilled quinoa salad, transfer the salad to the lettuce-lined bowl
jim nehmzow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:45 AM   #18
Executive Chef
Jim, this is a gorgeous recipe!! What a unique but tempting combination, pistachio, apple juice, ginger, grapes...yum yum!! This must be also a delicious dish to your eyes too... a very festive treat... maybe just in time to be included into our Christmas dinner!! Thanks for sharing this!!