"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

alla checca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani View Post
As far as pasta sauce goes, I really only know of 2; tomato sauce and alfredo sauce. I'm bored with tomato sauce and lost interest in alfredo sauce because it's too fattening and the flavor got overwhelming to me. So i'm trying to find some kind of sauce for pasta that is light and healthy. My favorite things to put on pasta are garlic, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese. Sometimes I put basil in there, or onions. Is there a sauce that goes well with these ingredients that I could use? Thanks in advance!
While I know it contains tomatoes, have you ever tried pasta alla checca? It's a no cook "steeped" sauce using EVOO and garden tomatoes, garlic,fresh basil, etc. Just google it as there are many recipes for it online.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
Sous Chef

>>they never grew . . .

I've been gardening for decades. there are years when "it just doesn't go right" - so sweat not the little stuff - find a good local source and freeze away (g)

"tastes great" trumps "my garden" - every time.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Lemon and dill sauce, made with EVOO, on angel hair pasta.

Soy sauce, oil, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, sliced green onions, quartered grape tomatoes and sesame seeds on spaghetti or ramen/soba noodles.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and yogurt to make a modified stroganoff sauce.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Lemon and dill sauce, made with EVOO, on angel hair pasta.

What's the recipe? I have 20 dill plants growing and more that self seeded and as just coming up....
Old 05-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
What's the recipe? I have 20 dill plants growing and more that self seeded and as just coming up....
Posted here:

Lemon-Dill Sauce

If you glom onto some pretty bottles and corks and buy white wine vinegar...you can add nice sprigs of seeded dill into each bottle and fill with vinegar and hand them out as dinner party favors...
Old 05-31-2011, 03:47 AM   #17
Executive Chef

My favorite pasta dish is jus t ribbon pasta dressed with butter, grated Parm/reg and ripped fresh basil.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 AM   #18
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Posted here:

Lemon-Dill Sauce

If you glom onto some pretty bottles and corks and buy white wine vinegar...you can add nice sprigs of seeded dill into each bottle and fill with vinegar and hand them out as dinner party favors...
Thanks! Copied, pasted, and saved!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Start your pasta cooking. Take a couple of garlic cloves and a couple anchovy fillets and make a paste with the flat of your chefs knife. Add this to olive oil and wisk. Seed and dice some fresh tomatoes or use grape tomatoes cut in half. Tear some fresh basil leaves. Stir tomatoes and basil into olive oil mixture. Add red pepper flakes to taste. The anchovys took care of the salt. When pasta is done, drain well, add to serving bowl, add sauce, toss and serve! Provide red pepper flakes so everyone can adjust heat to their liking and some grated romano or parm.

No cook sauce.

BTW, if you don't tell them, they will probably not know there are anchovys in it.

Craig
Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
Master Chef

I love fresh vegetables, lightly sauteed and tossed with angel hair (choose your own pasta). When the fresh tomatoes come in, it will be just chopped tomatoes, olive oil, and pasta with a favorite seasoning and/or whatever herbs are in season. A touch of any grating cheese or the cheese crumbles you can buy these days (feta, blue, goat). Fresh, frozen or even canned green beans are great for this, summer squash (with or without the tomatoes). The thing is that this is also good leftover and cold for lunch the next day.

If you cook out, grill slices of squash, eggplant, onion, lightly brushed or tossed with olive oil and your favorite seasonings. Then keep them to use during the week. Chopped and tossed with pasta they are a wonderful dinner.

Oh, I see you're from Minnesota! Right now asparagus is in, and it is perfect for this. Steam, grill, or roast. If you wish you can make it a heartier thing by adding something creamy, but if you're getting away from that, once again, the basic olive oil and garlic go very well with it!

Tags
healthy, pasta, sauces