What are some healthy & light pasta sauces?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with Claire--I do very similar things with pasta and veggies.

And, not only is aspargus (the wild aspargus) in season, so are the Morel mushrooms (according to my dad).

Oh, morels! Perfect. I didn't have a foraging friend to help me the past couple of years, but thinly sliced and well rinsed (they can hold a lot of dirt & bugs) .... well, just yumm. Easy-peasy is sauteed, but they are great in a stroganof. I always thought they'd be great stuffed, but never tried. But yes, morels and asparagus come into season at the same time right now and make great food companions. How about a morel and asparagus quiche?

And don't forget that the walleye fishing season opens in MN about the same time aspargus and morels come in...best summer/early spring dinner is fresh walleye and aspargus...followed by rhubarb pie...

My dad air dries the morels (on sewing thread)...I sneak in the pantry and stuff a couple of jars of dried morels in my luggage every time I visit in July/August. He's 80, not always all there, so I figure he won't miss a couple of jars...I soak them and add them to wild rice...yum-yum, or homemade mushroom soup, or a whole lot of other things. My dad adds them to omelettes on Sunday morning.

I'm running low on morels, so I'm being very careful about using the ones I have left until I can get back to MN in August.

As far as pasta sauce goes, I really only know of 2; tomato sauce and alfredo sauce. I'm bored with tomato sauce and lost interest in alfredo sauce because it's too fattening and the flavor got overwhelming to me. So i'm trying to find some kind of sauce for pasta that is light and healthy. My favorite things to put on pasta are garlic, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese. Sometimes I put basil in there, or onions. Is there a sauce that goes well with these ingredients that I could use? Thanks in advance!
I'm a little late but my family loves angel hair pasta with browned butter and myzthra cheese grated over it. I serve with a green salad with ripe tomatoes, thin sliced sweet onion and avocado, the DH licks his chops as do the kids and my daughters and thier DH's.
kadesma

>>and myzthra cheese grated over it.

I did a Mario B asparagus in linguine with a "cheese sauce" - used grated Gouda (I think...)

taste was good, good dish overall, but the cheese didn't "melt into a sauce" - stayed rather a bit on the thick / clumpy side.

anyone have a good recommendation / experience on a (better choice) cheese (to be grated...) for these kind of 'in the pan sauces'?

looked up the myzthra - sounds neat but we're in a culinary cheese challenged area. (say that three times real fast!)

You can make pesto using other herbs than basil--cilantro, parsley, swiss chard (okay, a veggie), spinach, go wild.

If you are concerned about the fat in pesto, you can substitute mineral water or ricotta cheese (but I think ricotta would up the sodium content) for some or all of the olive oil. I always have pesto "cubes" in the freezer. Love pesto.

CWS4322 said:
And don't forget that the walleye fishing season opens in MN about the same time aspargus and morels come in...best summer/early spring dinner is fresh walleye and aspargus...followed by rhubarb pie...

Stop it! Jealous...walleye and rhubarb=heaven.

Last edited:
No--that is purgetory--walleyes and wild aspargus = heaven...rhubarb is a bonus <g>. I'm jealous, too. I only get walleye when I get to MN and I'm waiting to hear back from my cousin if there is wireless access at the cabin so I can take off for part of August and "go fishing." At least I have access to wild aspargus and rhubarb here--but man, do I miss fresh-off-the-hook walleye (and walleye cheeks),

LEMON PASTA

Start water boiling
Cook 1 lb. Linguine or fettucini

Zest 2 lemons and then juice them.
In a large skillet or casserole Melt 1/2 stick butter
Add 1 1/2 pints of heavy cream, bring to a boil
Add lemon juice

Toss in cooked pasta, sprinkle on lemon zest. Sometimes I sprinkle a good sharp Romano but sometimes that seems like guilding the lily.

Plain it's a great light primi or side. For a full meal, add some prawns, scallops, smoked salmon, smoked black cod, asparagus, or fresh peas. For a bit more complexity start the sauce by braising a couple of thinly sliced leeks in sherry, then continue with butter and cream.

I make a quick light pasta with Sour cream, chopped chives, cubed ham, halved grape tomatoes, dash of tabasco and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or cold.

Here's another standby of mine. Hope one of the 2 will help you.

Stirfry some carrot, zucchini, sprouts, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers and a chopped tomato and onion in some olive oil. Season with fresh herbs of choice, salt and pepper and a dash of lemon juice. Stir through hot pasta and serve with shavings of fresh parmesan.

You can add strips of chicken, beef or pork if you prefer.

We recently had a sauce made of avocados, Greek yogurt, fresh lime juice and sea salt. It was mushed and coated the spaghetti, then topped with super lean strips of beef sauteed with a bit of garlic, and topped with fresh chopped tomatoes and minced cilantro. It was really different but absolutely delicious!

For the actual recipe, it is on page 75 of July 2011's Clean Eating magazine.

Last edited:
Broccoli pasta sauce:

Fry one chopped onion and 2 cloves of crushed garlic in olive oil till soft, add 1 cup of chicken broth, add 1 packet of stemmed broccoli chopped. Cooked till really soft. Season with salt, pepper and juice of 1 or 2 lemons. Add 1/4 cup of grated parmesan. Whizz in blender till smooth and stir into hot pasta. If the sauce is too thick add a bit more broth.
This is pretty healthy since you are looking for a light sauce

Thin/small pasta are great for warm weather cooking. Angel hair, couscous. Do it early in the day if you want it cold. If hot, then almost any vegetable tossed into it (I do it right at the end of boiling the pasta), strain and toss with olive oil or butter, then some herbs. Your favorite seasonings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom