What do you put in your ramen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I Love Ramen

I like to do many differnet things with ramen. Since my family loves ramen noodles I try to think of different things that I could add to go along with the flavor of the noodles. Sometimes I will put soy sauce with some bioled egg. Or I would use veggies and some kind of meat that would go well with the seasoning packet. Of course you would spice it to your tastes. I have used most of the flavors and they can make great recipes if mixed with the right things. Once I made some veggie eggrolls with white rice and the shrimp flavored noodles. Then I also made a soy sauce, wasabi, and chopped garlic sauce for dipping. My family loved it. So anyway, I love ramen because they can either be used as a side dish or be a part of the main meal. Try it out sometime, you might be surprised.:chef:

I like noodle bowls with any combo of veggies, chicken, beef, shrimp. If I use the seasoning packet, I boil the noodles in the flavored broth, and strain it out. Odd, I know, but too much salt for my taste. Here's one idea for the noodles:

Ginger Beef Salad Noodle Bowl

Dressing:
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
pepper, to taste

Salad:
8 ounces cooked steak or roast beef, thinly sliced
4 ounces vermicelli, broken into 3-inch pieces, cooked and cooled
1 cup pea pods, halved
1 cup shredded cabbage, red
1/2 cup very thinly sliced carrot
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained

Whisk together dressing ingredients or shake in a tightly covered container.

Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl; pour dressing over salad and toss lightly. Chill for at least an hour before serving.

Has anyone tried rice sticks/noodles? It is my answer to the ramen noodles, they are I am not sure exactly where but oriental (possibly chinese), they are like "angel hair" tipe thin semi-transparent noodles made with rice flour. They are wonderfully versatile and tasty, makes great stir fries with your fave veggies. I also cooked them with curry flavour and lebanese spices, they are delicious... also they are not "fried" in horrible palm oil like the ramen noodles, so also much healthier... and really they shouldn't cost so much more than ramens (here we get package of 500g noodles for about 1,30€, which is about $1,60-70?) check around the ethnic section of your local supermarket and give it a try!!
3.gif

I like the Thai 'glass' noodles, too - I'm not sure of the spelling but they are called something like Tam Woon Sen!

I use ramen noodles in stirfries - if that's all I have to hand - but I prefer Chinese egg noodles, the medium thickness ones.

When I did use ramen noodles, I always drained and rinsed them well, so I could get rid at least some of that stale palm oil taste/smell. But here you can get decent italian pasta at very low cost, aside from the rice sticks I mentioned above, I really don't have any reason to use ramen noodles any longer!!
4.gif

We have a very large Italian community in Scotland (during the war, Italian PoWs were kept in Edinburgh Castle - many of them met local girls and stayed in Scotland after the war. Some of my boyfriends had the very 'Scots' type of name like D'Agostino, D'Angelo, Risi, rather than MacDonald, McKenzie etc!) - this is my most favourite shop in the whole world! I went to school with a daughter of the family... invites to 'tea' at her home were always eagerly taken up!

http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/

Ishbel said:
We have a very large Italian community in Scotland (during the war, Italian PoWs were kept in Edinburgh Castle - many of them met local girls and stayed in Scotland after the war. Some of my boyfriends had the very 'Scots' type of name like D'Agostino, D'Angelo, Risi, rather than MacDonald, McKenzie etc!) - this is my most favourite shop in the whole world! I went to school with a daughter of the family... invites to 'tea' at her home were always eagerly taken up!

http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/

AAAAh, that explains... I always wondered what was up with the name of the certain Scottish CART racer, Dario Franchitti (He also hails from Edinburgh...) thanx for a little historic lesson, Izzy!!:rolleyes:

Lots of wonderful Italian ice cream shops (Nardini's ices, on the West Coast of Scotland are FAMOUS!), chip shops, pizza and pasta houses... all authentic - many of the Italians are of Neapolitan, Roman and Sicilian stock.

Ishbel said:
Lots of wonderful Italian ice cream shops (Nardini's ices, on the West Coast of Scotland are FAMOUS!), chip shops, pizza and pasta houses... all authentic - many of the Italians are of Neapolitan, Roman and Sicilian stock.

Italian chip shop????
39.gif
very odd but interesting... do they serve different things from the normal chippies??
Anyhow the Italian Ice Cream, or gelato is absolutely the best, I am glad you can enjoy them over there!!:)

MOST of our chipshops used to be owned by Italians, now it's Chinese chippies - curry sauce with yer chips!

Have you never heard of the famous Scottish/Italian delicacy... deep fried pizza? The cheapest, mass=produced pizza known to man, with a smear of tomato sauce, tiny amount of grated cheese - fold pizza in half. Dip in the fish batter... put into deep fryer.... BLECH!!!

Oh and the other component in a well-balanced Scottish chip shop meal, deep fried pizza and then..... deep fried Mars Bars - invented in Glasgow, now appearing at a Highland Gathering somewhere in the USA as 'GENUINE Scots fare'!!:mrgreen:

To get back to Lugaro's topic - a thought...

Remember cup-o-noodles? Here's an experiment:

Place noodles in a soup bowl, boil water w the packet or chicken, beef or veg broth, pour over noodles & cover w a plate to cook thru. Add goodies of choice, i.e.:

tiny salad shrimp
green onions
peas & carrots
water chestnuts
shredded carrots

Personalize the dish & add shredded cooked chicken, beef, whatever you like.

Marishka_20 said:
I like to do many differnet things with ramen. Since my family loves ramen noodles I try to think of different things that I could add to go along with the flavor of the noodles. Sometimes I will put soy sauce with some bioled egg. Or I would use veggies and some kind of meat that would go well with the seasoning packet. Of course you would spice it to your tastes. I have used most of the flavors and they can make great recipes if mixed with the right things. Once I made some veggie eggrolls with white rice and the shrimp flavored noodles. Then I also made a soy sauce, wasabi, and chopped garlic sauce for dipping. My family loved it. So anyway, I love ramen because they can either be used as a side dish or be a part of the main meal. Try it out sometime, you might be surprised.:chef:

I've added egg rolls, won tons and sometimes fried rice, put soy sauce on the noodles (instead of the packet) and have a complete dinner/dish.

Ramen Noodles

You're all gonna hate this one! I use less water than what's called for - just enough to cover the noodles. When they are cooked, I add the seasoning packet & a good sized pat of butter & then let it sit until the butter is melted. Then I normally eat it right out of the pot. :)

Nope Corrine, don't hate it, I do the same thing when I'm alone and in a hurry.:LOL: My grandson won't eat soupy soup but he gobbles up ramen this way...

kadesma

Since I've never eaten ramen noodles, I decided to look for some recipes. Cooks.com has a very good sounding recipe for ramen noodle chicken salad. I don't know if I could post it here or not, but it comes up in a search. It looks tasty.

Corinne said:
You're all gonna hate this one! I use less water than what's called for - just enough to cover the noodles. When they are cooked, I add the seasoning packet & a good sized pat of butter & then let it sit until the butter is melted. Then I normally eat it right out of the pot. :)

Thank you for confessing my sin! I've done it this way for years!

Of course now Gidgett is at my side - she loves to "slurp" the noodles while she's on her hind legs!:ROFLMAO:

Here is a easy recipe using ramen noodles that is one of my favorites. It is so simple and easy with minimal ingredients. Perfect for a busy night.

Teriyaki Chicken with Spicy Noodles

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Teriyaki sauce
2 (3 oz.) pkg. oriental flavor ramen noodle soup mix
2 tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 carrots, thinly sliced diagonally
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Marinate chicken in Teriyaki sauce. Pan fry or grill chicken until cooked through. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, place 1 teaspoon seasoning from packet of 1 pkg. of ramen soup mix. Add water and crushed red pepper flakes, mix well. Set aside. Discard remaining seasoning and other seasoning packet. Place 6 cups of water in large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add noodles and carrots; boil 2-3 minutes or until noodles are tender. Drain and return to saucepan. Add seasoning mixture and green onions; toss gently. Place on serving platter. Sliced cooked chicken breasts diagonally and arrange over noodles.

Our family loves Ramen for a quick weekend lunch. I add soy sauce, chili sauce, garlic, pepper. And then any veggies that are around carrots, corn, onion, peas. As well as leftover meat or seafood. I love that I can put so much into it and make it healthier, at least for a three year old :LOL:
mom2girls

www.heritagemakers.com/157220

Back
Top Bottom