"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
Senior Cook

My mother used to use horse meat whenever she would otherwise have used beef when we lived in France.
Whole hid-on quarters were hung in the butcher shop. You pointed to what part of the quarter you wanted and the butcher would sell you that cut that he had already butchered from another quarter......if that makes sense.
It's delicious cooked properly.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:41 AM   #12
Master Chef

I'll simmer a pot of sauce/ragu using my MIL's recipe that Himself taught to me when we were first married. It's a basic beef/onion/tomato/spices version. I've tweaked it over the years, but it's still very close to Mom's original. It makes me happy just to eat it because we've had it so many times together as a family. One time when we went back to OH to visit our kids we got a small hotel suite to stay in. It came complete with a tiny kitchen, so I took a 2-quart container of sauce from home in the cooler. The kids showed up at the motel, helped make salad, finish the supper and pour wine. We had a nice family dinner. Just the four of us, but it was as wonderful as when we would gather around our big table in our old home's kitchen. Food sometimes IS family.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'll simmer a pot of sauce/ragu using my MIL's recipe that Himself taught to me when we were first married. It's a basic beef/onion/tomato/spices version. I've tweaked it over the years, but it's still very close to Mom's original. It makes me happy just to eat it because we've had it so many times together as a family. One time when we went back to OH to visit our kids we got a small hotel suite to stay in. It came complete with a tiny kitchen, so I took a 2-quart container of sauce from home in the cooler. The kids showed up at the motel, helped make salad, finish the supper and pour wine. We had a nice family dinner. Just the four of us, but it was as wonderful as when we would gather around our big table in our old home's kitchen. Food sometimes IS family.
A pot of gravy (sauce) and a pan of pasta with a couple of crusty loaves sitting on the table where you rip off a piece to sop up the leftover gravy on your plate, family surrounding you with love, and you have the world.

I always insisted that we sit down every night to a family meal. No TV, telephone or other distractions. The only distraction was family and
Old 05-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
Senior Cook

An answer to Andy M. There is indeed an 'official' recipe for ragł alla Bolognese, because so many people were making ragł's that were perfectly ok but not the classic one from Bologna, but calling it 'Bolognese'.

The approved recipe was published by the Bologna arm of the Italian Academy of Food in 1982. There are hundreds of ragłs that are local and typical of the cuisine of the various regions of Italy, all of them totally different from the classic Bolognese one. Hope this helps

Enough is never as good as a feast (oscar Wilde)

di reston
Old 05-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

If you make a tomato sauce and add some ground beef, that doesn't automatically make it a Bolognese.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #16
Senior Cook

It automatically makes it not a Bolognese!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast (Oscar Wilde)

Tags
other, pasta