what grains do you have iin your kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. I have some unusual grains in my kitchen. I have hulless barley, whole rye, kamut, spelt, wild rice, Bob's Red Mill thick cut oats, McCann's Irish steel-cut oats, and whole flax. I am not big on rice - it does not have enough texture for me. I like to make pilafs, etc that have texture and great flavor - I find that the whole grains are really superior for that.

Re: now that I've checked the cupboards, here's my list

crewsk said:
subfuscpersona said:
oh yeah - a little flax seed that I'm trying to figure out how to use - it was an impulse buy (is flax a grain?)

That's funny sub! Read back over mine & buckytoms posts here! :LOL:

hmmm, yes, I see what you mean.

i have barley, arborio rice, 3 boxes of instant rice, a bag and a box of
brown rice, a bag of white rice and a box of white rice, oats, non-instant rice, polenta, penne, orzo, angelhair, fettucini, linguine, lasagna noodles, 'baby pasta', extra-fine egg noodles, kluski noodles, wide egg noodles, thin spaghetti #9, elbow macaroni, medium egg noodle flakes, raditatore, ziti, rigatoni, rice noodles, udon noodles, popcorn, microwave popcorn. as for flours, i only have the basics- rice flour and all-purpose flour.
i hate rice. that's going to the food pantry along with the oats. i don't make oatmeal but once a year, if that. why do we buy things that we dislike?

I have:
jasmine rice, Basmati rice, sweet glutinous rice, red rice, brown rice
Mung beans, lentils,
flours: wheat, rice, tapioca, glutinous
various pastas- spagetti my favorite
I like garbanzo beans, red beans, cannelini beans, and other beans but in cans only.
Lately I am interested in cooking beans from scratch so I will probably venture into the beans that I have not tried before.
I love rice and will try different varieties.

Flour: Unbleached all purpose, whole wheat, and rye
Rice: Organic brown and basmati white
Pasta: A multitude of shapes and sizes - I live on pasta!
Misc: Whole wheat couscous, kasha (buckwheat groats), and cornmeal

I have some orzo, oatmeal, white rice, brown rice, oat bran, cornmeal, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour. I have some pasta (made of semolina).

Well I mentioned above that I was not a big fan of rice. I did discover recently however Lundburg's Wild Blend. It has organic long grain brown rice, organic sweet brown rice, organic wild rice bits, organic wehani, and black japonica. It is really colorful, aromatic and has great texture - wonderful for pilafs, etc.

Let's see, I have AP flour, bread flour, self-rising flour. I have canned kidney beans (light red), garbanzo beans, cannelloni beans, black beans (canned and dried), lentils (dried), Great Northern beans (dried). Cornmeal. Spaghetti, penne, rigatoni, little shells, a boatload of Mueller's elbows that I got in a killer sale. About a half-cup of orzo that I keep forgetting to use up. Mung beans for sprouting. Ordinary white rice.

Then there's the Mystery Flour. I have a quart mayo jar full to the brim with something that is very pale yellow and very fine ground. I'm thinking it may be soy flour, but I can't remember. I can't identify it by smell. I don't know what to do about it. Every once in awhile I stare at it and ponder how to solve the mystery. Then I shove the jar to the back of the shelf until the next time it gets uncovered, and I stare at it some more. I've thought about tossing it, but that feels like a copout. So I'm stuck with it. I worry that I'll be going through the exercise 25 years from now, still pondering, still wondering, still baffled.

Catseye, do you have grits? That would fit the description. Oh, I forgot to mention the legumes I have (didn't count them as grains) and I always have grits.

OMG...LMAO! Stop that you two!!! I just spit coffee all over the keyboard! I come in here quietly reading and making a list in my head of whats in the cupboard and WHAM! Bucky is talking about the corn shute and crewsk is talking bugs! LOL. Never stop you two...love the laughs.

I have:

Barley
Rice (a bunch of different types)
Oats
Flour (again, lots of types)
Cracked wheat
Flax
Buckwheat (kosha...mmmmmm!!!)
Cornmeal
Red River Cereal

Are we counting lentils here? I have a dried bean inventory that won't quit.

Buckytom, have you ever toasted your buckwheat in a cast iron pan (in bacon grease) and then added chicken broth to it? You keep stirring and adding to it sort of like risotto. OMG...to die for yummy. You need to salt it at the end. This is what my Dad called Kosha (sp?) and we used to LOVE it. I haven't made it in years though...gotta do that.

Back
Top Bottom