"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't know what happened to it. I see tricolor rotini in the markets all the time. If you want to add nutrition to pasta, I think it would be more effective to add fresh vegetables and herbs in a sauce, whether tomato-based or olive oil, garlic and cheese.
I don't think the OP is bothered about the nutritional value of the fettucini. S/he wants green fettucini.

Plenty of green pasta available in supermarkets here.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
I never got the whole spinach-pasta thing anyway - it really didn't even taste that much different. That *I* noticed, anyway. I think I had some that had a bitter note once ... that's about as far as I can recall ever noticing anything different about the way it tasted ...
Italians love to add other foods and seasonings to the homemade pasta. The only one I refused to try is the one with the black ink of the squid. And I am not fond of the one with ground peppercorns added to the pasta. Too much of a good thing. Some only add the juice of the veggie to the pasta, others make a mash of the veggie. I kind of like the ones with the mash. You can taste the veggie. With just the juice, it makes for a pretty pasta. At Christmas time of course red and green pastas are served. Spinach, peas, broccoli any green veggie that you are willing to cook to death and make a dry mash out of makes for the green. For the red it can be beets, tomatoes, and any other red veggie. It takes a lot of work in spite of how easy Lydia or Maryanne makes it look. The noni's I knew growing up started at the beginning of December.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Inky pasta? I'd pass on that too!

I can see where a spice, especially black pepper, could make a difference to the flavor - but not the veggies. Maybe I've just never had any that was made with mashed veggies. I like pepper in very small amounts, but the operative word there is "small", so - no black peppercorn pasta for me, either.

I'm pretty sure I'd pass on beet pasta too. I don't know why - when I was a kid I absolutely LOVED beets. I don't know why I hate them so much now!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
Inky pasta? I'd pass on that too!

I can see where a spice, especially black pepper, could make a difference to the flavor - but not the veggies. Maybe I've just never had any that was made with mashed veggies. I like pepper in very small amounts, but the operative word there is "small", so - no black peppercorn pasta for me, either.

I'm pretty sure I'd pass on beet pasta too. I don't know why - when I was a kid I absolutely LOVED beets. I don't know why I hate them so much now!
I picked up some of the squid pasta awhile back. I plan on making something with it, just haven't had a craving for pasta lately (I rarely eat pasta).
Old 10-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I picked up some of the squid pasta awhile back. I plan on making something with it, just haven't had a craving for pasta lately (I rarely eat pasta).
I had squid ink pasta with scallops at an Italian restaurant when we were in Detroit in August. The pasta by itself didn't have much flavor, like regular pasta, but the scallops were amazing! The entire dish together was delicious!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-26 18.49.32.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	18755  
Old 10-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I had squid ink pasta with scallops at an Italian restaurant when we were in Detroit in August. The pasta by itself didn't have much flavor, like regular pasta, but the scallops were amazing! The entire dish together was delicious!
Great pairing. The ink comes from a sea creature as well as the scallops. That chef knows his food.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Sous Chef

We have Catelli brand Spinach Fettuccine here. All the stores carry it.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

My supermarket has a small section of handmade pasta by small local and some importing companies. Spinach, beet, carrot etc. are all available. They are all in cellophane packages and the pastas are in individual nests.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't bother with the coloured pasta. They don't seem to make it in whole wheat in Italy.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
Sous Chef

They actually do now. We saw it this past spring when we were in Germany. Barilla makes it now. Cereali integrali or just Integrale means whole wheat.
Integrale Barilla | Barilla

Tags
other, spinach, spinach linguine