What is Couscous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Couscous with Apricots and Pine Nuts
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
1/2 cup chopped apricots
1 cup couscous​
1/4 cup pine nuts (toasted)

Put broth and apricots in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add couscous and bring to boil again. Cover, remove from heat. Let stand five minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork, add in pine nuts.​

Couscous is very versatile, there are 100's of variations you can make.
Olive oil and herb Couscous, Couscous with cranberry and almonds, Couscous with vegetables...​
Interesting. Thanks.

This is probably silly but I'm doing teryakhi (sp) beef for dinner and was thinking of trying the couscous on the side. I bought chicken broth to cook it in because all the shows say to cook it in that instead of water. So, would the couscous cooked in chicken broth go good with a beef that is cooked with teryakhi or should I just do packaged noodles?

Okay, finally got around to cooking the couscous, should it taste like Cream of Wheat? I followed the directions, didn't add anything yet, so I'm not sure if the box is bad or if this is what couscous should taste like.

Did you fluff the couscous with a fork after you cooked it? You really need to fluff and separate it or it lumps up.

Last edited:
I recently made a salad, switching out the couscous with quinoa (regular and red). I used raisins, toasted almonds, scallions, a bit of small diced red pepper, cilantro, and a vinaigrette. Just be sure to rinse the quinoa before cooking it or it could be quite bitter.
One can also bump up the nutritional value by using a whole grain couscous.

I made a great dinner last night. I cooked up some ground chicken. The I cooked up some couscous. Instead of water I used coconut water. I added pine nuts, dried cranberries and scallions to the couscous and drizzled a good EVOO over the top. the chicken topped the whole thing. I served it with a side of roasted brussel sprouts. It was a quick, cheap, tasty, filling, healthy meal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom